Froakie's Trainer Returns

Froakie was sitting in a small patch of sunlight, relaxing after a long training session. There were only two weeks before Ash's gym battle against Ramos, and he wanted to be in top form in case he was chosen to battle. It was a bit unlikely considering that Ramos' gym specialized in grass-types, but then again Ash had never been one to do things the traditional way.
Maybe if I evolved before then, it would help, Froakie mused. He knew he was close to evolving. It was just a matter of time now.
"Hey, Froakie! How's it going?" Fennekin asked.
"I'm fine, Fennekin. How are you?" the bubble frog Pokemon replied.
"Great! I think I'm almost ready for Serena's showcase!" Fennekin said happily.
"That's good. I still have a lot of work to do to be ready for Ash's gym battle," Froakie said wistfully.
"Is he planning to use you?" Goomy, who Froakie hadn't realized had joined them until now, asked.
"I don't know," Froakie admitted. "But if he does, I have to be prepared."
Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye Froakie noticed a boy around Ash's age coming towards them from the top of the hill. He tensed up as he recognized the approaching boy, ready to spring to safety if he noticed him.
Too late. The boy had seen him. And now he was running full speed towards Froakie. Without a second thought, Froakie jumped onto Ash's shoulder and tried to hide himself.
"Froakie! What's the matter?" Ash asked, startled.
"Not him!" Froakie groaned.
"Froakie! Is that you?" the boy asked once he had caught up to their group. "Where have you been?"
"Hiding from you," Froakie muttered.
"Who is that, Froakie?" Hawlucha asked.
"One of my old trainers, Mitch," Froakie replied, shuddering.
"Excuse me," Clemont interrupted them. "Do you happen to know Froakie?"
Mitch looked at Clemont. "Oh yeah-sorry, forgot to introduce myself. I'm Mitch, Froakie's old trainer. What are your names?"
"I'm Ash, and this is Pikachu," Ash said, indicating himself and his electric mouse.
"Hi," Pikachu said, waving.
"I'm Serena," Serena introduced herself.
"I'm Bonnie, and this is my big brother Clemont," Bonnie added. "And this is Dedenne."
"Hey," Dedenne piped up.
"It's nice to meet all of you," Mitch said pleasantly. "So to answer your question, yes, I do know Froakie. He was one of my first Pokemon I ever caught, but one day he broke his Pokeball and ran away. I thought I'd never see him again, but here we are."
"I wish we HAD never seen each other again," Froakie muttered to himself.
Mitch turned to Froakie. "So Froakie, I know you left because you thought I wasn't good enough for you, but I promise I've been working really hard and I think I'm finally strong enough to be your trainer again. So come on, let's go," he said. He turned and started to walk away, only to realize that Froakie wasn't coming.
"Sorry, but Froakie's my Pokemon now," Ash told Mitch.
"And I'm staying!" Froakie added.
"But I caught him first!" Mitch protested angrily.
"Guys, why don't we let Froakie choose?" Serena suggested, and Ash and Mitch had to agree to that. A moment later, Froakie was standing in between the two boys. "Okay, Froakie. One...two...three....choose!"
On three, Froakie didn't just walk over to Ash-he leaped onto his shoulder (the one that wasn't already occupied by Pikachu) and settled himself there happily.
"All right!" Ash cheered as Pikachu and the rest of the Pokemon also cheered.
"NO! I'M TAKING FROAKIE BACK NO MATTER WHAT!" Mitch yelled, now looking slightly insane. He pulled out a Pokeball. "Here's the deal! If you can beat me in a battle, then you can keep Froakie! If I win, Froakie comes with me!"
"What? You're crazy. I'm not putting one of my friends on the line!" Ash yelled back at him.
"I'll do it!" Froakie insisted, looking up at his trainer.
"You want to battle him, Froakie?" Ash asked. Froakie nodded. "All right, then let's win this!"
Mitch smirked at him. "I have the perfect Pokemon to beat Froakie. Chesnaught, let's go!" he called out, tossing his Pokeball. The large grass and fighting-type popped out of his Pokeball and stared hard at Froakie.
"Wow, talk about a size difference," Serena commented.
"Uh oh," Goomy muttered nervously. "Isn't that Chespin's final evolution?"
"It is," Fennekin confirmed. "Froakie's in for a tough battle."
"I won't lose," Froakie growled. He couldn't lose-if he did, he'd never see Ash again. There was no way he was letting that happen.
"The battle between Ash and Mitch will now begin," Clemont announced. "Ready...and begin!"
"We'll start things off! Chesnaught, use Hammer Arm!" Mitch shouted.
"Dodge it, Froakie!" Ash countered.
Froakie leaped out of the way of the Hammer Arm easily. He smirked as the force behind the failed attack caused Chesnaught to stumble. Glancing at Ash, he saw the familiar grin on the boy's face and knew that he had a plan.
"Fine, then! Chesnaught, use Seed Bomb!" Mitch yelled.
"Dodge," Ash said calmly.
"ARCEUS DAMN IT! VINE WHIP!" Mitch roared, at the end of his rope with Ash.
"Dodge," Ash said again, sounding amused.
"WILL YOU STOP DODGING ALL THE TIME?" Mitch yelled at Ash.
"Well, that's not really how a battle works," Ash pointed out.
"He really is an idiot," Pancham remarked, looking at Mitch.
The battle continued this way for some time, with Chesnaught launching attack after attack and Froakie dodging every single one. Soon, it became clear to everyone what Ash's plan was. Whereas Froakie looked perfectly fine, Chesnaught was becoming noticeably more fatigued. That was when Ash decided to make his move.
"Froakie, Double Team!" he ordered.
"With pleasure!" Froakie growled as several carbon copies of himself appeared around Chesnaught.
"Knock them down with Seed Bomb!" Mitch commanded.
"All of you, jump and dodge. We'll need everyone for this to work," Ash countered.
All of the Froakies jumped up, managing to avoid the Seed Bomb. Froakie smirked at Chesnaught, who now looked more exhausted than ever. It was time to wrap this up.
"Now, all of you use Water Pulse!" Ash shouted.
"Take this!" Froakie yelled as he and his carbon copies joined forces to form a giant Water Pulse. He threw it down towards Chesnaught, knocking the larger grass-type over. The battle was over.
"Chesnaught is unable to battle! Froakie's the winner," Clemont announced, smiling.
"All right!" Ash said excitedly. Froakie hopped back onto Ash's shoulder happily.
"Yes!" Fennekin cheered, then blushed.
At that, something in Mitch snapped. "NO! I'M TAKING FROAKIE BACK RIGHT NOW!" he screamed.
".....Pikachu, Thunderbolt," Ash ordered. Pikachu let loose a powerful Thunderbolt, sending Mitch and Chesnaught blasting off much like Team Rocket.
"Good riddance," Froakie said in relief.
"Well Froakie, now that he's gone you can just stay with us!" Ash told him cheerfully.
Froakie smiled and rubbed his head happily against his trainer's, glad to be able to stay with his friends.