Engagement (Amourshipping)

Requested by JorgeWrites 

Dear Ash, 

After receiving your letter disclosing the news of your engagement to Serena, I feel it has become necessary for me to express my apprehension. You and Serena's lives are very different from each other's and I feel that a long-term relationship is out of the question, much less marriage. What's wrong with the girls from Kanto, your own region? I understand that you are your own person, but I strongly encourage you to reconsider your decision. 

Love, 

Mom 

Ash sighed and stared at the letter from his mother, feeling a wave of disappointment and resentment wash over him. He knew that she probably thought she was giving him helpful advice, but it sounded more as though she wanted him to break up with Serena so she could still delude herself into believing that she still had some control over his life. And he knew perfectly well why she was so opposed to him marrying a girl from Kalos, but thought she was being irrational. Besides, Serena was originally from Kanto anyway, something his mother seemed to have forgotten. 

"Hey, Ash. What are you reading?" a sweet, melodious voice asked. Ash glanced up to see his fiance, Serena Yvonne, taking a seat on the opposite end of the couch. "Oh, a letter? Who's it from?" 

"My mother. She's not exactly....enthusiastic about our engagement," he admitted, trying to phrase the situation as delicately as possible. 

"Why not?" Serena asked, clearly surprised. "Does she think we're too young?" 

"It's not so much that as it is our different....backgrounds," Ash replied carefully. 

"Oh," Serena said, looking down at her feet. "Okay. It's just....I thought your mom would be pleased." 

"Well, it's not that she has anything against you or people from Kalos in general," Ash explained. "It's just that my whole family has married within the Kanto region for generations. Marrying you means breaking centuries of tradition." 

Serena sighed and bowed her head sadly. Ash reached out and gently cupped a hand underneath her chin, lifting her face to meet his. 

"Hey, don't worry. I'll make her come round, okay?" he promised solemnly. 

Serena chuckled. "I know you will." Then she paused for a moment before adding, "Oh, actually this reminds me...some guy named Gary Oak called to tell me to let you know he's never speaking to you ever again." 

"Well, great," Ash huffed indignantly. "Anyone else openly disapprove of our engagement?" 

"Well, there are all your millions of female fans who are now devastated that you're officially off the market," Serena joked. 

Ash rolled his eyes but smiled all the same. "Yeah, whatever you say, Serena."