Chapter 124: Mood shift

Brandon's Point of View

"AAAHH!!" Feather screamed as I pressed a water leaf against her burns. I gave her a quick glance and looked back.

"Hold still..." I whispered.

She winced as I pressed another water leaf against her shoulder.

Molly had instructed me to change Feather's bandages once she woke up again in the evening.

"But it hurts!" Feather whined, her voice squeaky. I cut my eyes at her.

"Maybe if you trained harder... you wouldn't be in this mess every other day." I grumbled. Part of me wanted to bite out another insult, purely out of spite for her complaining.

She didn't hear me.

"There. It's done." I said, Applying the last bandage.

Feather sighed in relief and smiled.

"Thanks Brandon! I really appreciate it!" Feather said, Brightly.

"Yeah. Whatever." I replied, shrugging. She gave me a sideways glance. I wasn't in a mood for conversation. Seeing her burns.... and hearing her wine....

She'll never know how much worse I have it.

"Are... are you alright?" She raised an eyebrow and frowned slightly. I nodded in reply, trying to ignore the pain in my lower back. I don't need any special treatment from her.

When she was met with no reply, Feather put her hand on my shoulder.
"You can tell me what's up, Brandon..."

"I know. And I said that I'm fine." The words came out more harsh than I wanted. Feather slowly withdrew her hand.

Her eyes slowly narrowed, filled with hurt.

"Well isn't someone a ray of sunshine today?" She grumbled, Standing up from her bed. Oh. I'm sorry. Not all of us get to be heroes. Some of us have to suffer everyday with major burns. And do I complain about how much it hurts?? No! Some of us aren't lucky enough to not die a horrible death!

Feather's lips were pressed into a thin line. She looked like she wanted to say more.

"I.....I'm going... to... finish the armor. T-thanks again..." She said quickly. Before I could offer any kind of reply, she slammed the door behind her. I couldn't help but think of her expression as she left.... Her normally starry eyes were dull and filled with a slight sorrow.

With a sigh of relief, I lied down on my stomach.

I reached my hand over and touched the large burn on my back. My teeth clenched together as I grimaced in pain. And because of this.... I thought of Feather.

All of a sudden, I felt a sinking feeling in my heart.

I shouldn't of been snappy with Feather.

But........ should she really be complaining?

..... I mean.... she is the hero. Shouldn't she be..... stronger?

Well...... it.... it's my fault that she's this soft.

I should of trained her harder....

I should of made her more tough.

I should of made her the hero she's supposed to be.

I growled in discomfort as the pain in my back worsened. Part of me wanted to go to Molly, But I've already been to her too much this week. She'll start to ask questions....

I guess I'll have to do this myself. Groaning, I sat up on Feather's bed and removed my shirt.

I breathed a slight sigh once the cool air hit the burn.

As I reached for the waterleaf and the roll of bandages, I heard the door handle turn. The door opened.

"Hey Brandon--- do you know where that book i----"

Feather squeaked as she looked at me.

I quickly turned around to face her, eyes wide.

"I... um..,, uuuuhhh...." She stammered, looking at my bare chest. Her face was dusted with an obvious blush as she continued staring.

Feather's eyes darted away in several directions, but in the end, She just continued staring.

"Hey. My eyes are up here" I tease, smirking.

Her wide eyes met mine.

"I'M SORRY!" She shrieked. Not knowing what to do, Feather squeezed her eyes shut.

"I... I j-just need the b-book w-with all of the weapons and armor..." she said softly.

I turned my head to face the book that was resting right by my bed. As I went to retrieve it, I paused.

"Why do you need the book?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. She opened her eyes and gave me a small frown.

"To get the crafting recipes....I w-wanted to see if I could make any more gear out of the meteorite.." She trailed off as I looked at her with a confused expression.

"But.... but you could of asked me.... I.... I'm here to help you!" My eyebrows furrowed in disbelief.

She looked down at her feet.

"Well.... I d-didn't want to bother you.... you seemed pretty snappy. I j-just thought..."

I frowned.

"Feather.... I'm here to help you.... that's basically all I'm supposed to do... You can always ask me for help. Besides.... I'm your best friend! I'm... sorry I was acting.... off.... earlier."

All anger and angst I held against her seemed to vanish completely.

But... it was replaced with a certain type of sadness.

.... d-does she not want to talk to me anymore?

"Oh.........okay..... W-well... I could use your help to know how to craft new weapons. I'll need something to help me through battles---"

I cut her off,"No. no new weapons right now. I'm going to teach you how to properly use the weapons you currently have."    I....... I need to get her rolling along on her journey. With the stuff she'll face in the future..... I'll need her to be prepared...

Feather looked at me, a curious gleam in her eyes.

"We start at dawn. It's time I start training you to be a hero."