Chapter 34

I am not sure how good this chap is, but I'd love to hear your opinion! Thanks so much for reading, and enjoy!

Not edited!

***

Jennifer's POV -

I race through the corridors, my eyes stinging with fresh tears as I try to find my way back to the common room.

The memory of Draco's fearful and panicked face plays over and over again in my head, and I can't get it out, no matter how hard I try. I never would've expected him to be so broken down on the inside, and now I have no idea what to think.

When I make it to the common room, purposely passing the great hall, as I have no wish to return to the dance after tonight, relief washes through me.

I just need time to think things through, on my own, and I'll explain it all to my friends another time.

But when the portrait swings open, my breath hitches in my throat, and my entire body goes rigid.

Of course.

Bright colored lights flash about the room, so dizzying that they give me a headache, and drunken teenagers mill around the area.

It seems as if my peers have retired from the formal ball and migrated to the common room, where they could drink and party without the supervision of teachers.

I sigh, and force myself past the entryway, edging to the stairway that leads to the dorms with my head down, in order to keep myself hidden.

After traveling up what seems like many flights of stairs, I reach my dorm, trying to keep myself composed until I'm within the safe and quiet space.

But of course, as soon as I wrench open the door, two others bump into me.

"Oh my god, Jennifer? Where have you been?" Kelsie gushes, alcohol obviously infiltrating her system and making her unable to see the tears pooling in the corners of my eyes. Before I can respond, she starts again. "We're just about to go down to the after party. Want to come with?"

"Um-" I say, gulping down the large lump in my throat and steadying my voice, "-I don't really think I-"

"Don't give me that bullshit." Josefina intrudes, waving her arms around aimlessly. "Change your clothes, and be down in the common room in ten minutes, or I'll come up and drag you down myself." She finishes, and her and Kelsie squeeze past me, tramping down the stairwell.

I sigh to myself, attempting to calm the rapid rise and fall of my chest. I know that Josefina will stay true to her word, and whether I want to or not, I'll end up at that party tonight.

What's the harm? Maybe it could take my mind off of things for a bit, as long as Draco's not there.

I try to convince myself that my own thoughts are true, but I can't seem to.

I take a deep and shaky breath, and close the door behind me as I enter my dorm, preparing to get ready for the party.

***

Draco's POV -

I stay still for what seems like hours, even though it's probably only half of one.

My eyes stay trained on the same spot, and I don't have the strength to move them.

My knees begin to ache after a time, but it's dulled by the agonizing pain swelling in my chest. In fact, I feel so many different levels of pain, that I'm not even sure which one to process first.