Chapter 56

Hey guys!

Here's this week's chapter - it's pretty short but the next few will be relatively long so I hope you guys enjoy it!

Thank you so much for reading ❤️ officially less than 15 chapters left!

Enjoy :)

***

Jennifer's POV -

After making the long journey from the seventh floor to the dungeons, I find myself completely exhausted.

All of my limbs are pulsing with dull ache, and my eyelids have begun to hang low. I think that I cannot wait to finally slide under the thick covers of my four-poster bed.

As I approach the Slytherin common room, I whisper the word "Dilligrout" and the portrait swings open with a heavy sigh.

The common room, when I see it, is first empty.

Then I spot both Kyle and Derek, perched on a single couch towards the middle of the room.

Kyle looks stressed out - his head lies in one of his hands, the other gesturing to Derek in a frustrated manor. Derek is leaning back against the leather cushion, his arm draped across the back of the headboard.

As soon as I enter the room, they both look up, startled, as though I've interrupted their conversation.

I decide to play it off.

"Goodnight, guys." I smile weakly, looking at Kyle more than Derek. The softness to my tone is definitely fake - I'm still upset at what happened with Blu in the common room and how neither of them did anything but stand there, but I don't want to seem suspicious.

"Night." Kyle calls back, waving a hand shortly. His voice cracks, as if he's under extreme stress. Derek doesn't say anything - just stares at me.

Quickly, I hurry up the stairs to my dorm, feeling as though I'd intruded on the pair for sure.

But what were they talking about?

Even as I crawl under my warm duvet and try to let my eyes close, I can't seem to shake their look of surprise, as though I'd just walked in on something very private.

***

When I wake up in the middle of the night, my head is pounding.

It's still dark, so I figure it must be either very late at night or very early in the morning.

Trying not to wake my sleeping friends, I slip out of bed and tip toe across the dim room, sliding through the small crack between the bathroom door and it's frame.

When I flip the small light switch upwards, I'm instantly blinded. I look to the ground, shielding my face from the harsh glare. Once my eyes have finally adjusted to the light after another few minutes, I open them up, and glance in the mirror.

I look rough - half of my hair is knotted on the top of my head, the other half glued to my neck with sweat. Under my eyes hang dark bags, and I'm extremely pale.

In disgust, I quickly look away, and pull open the white cabinet on the wall.

On the shelves are bottles of pills, small tubes of makeup, and larger containers of lotion and hair products.

I pull out one of the smaller bottles of pain killers, and pop two of the minuscule pills in my mouth for my headache.

Knowing that I'll be unable to fall back asleep, I quickly splash a handful of cold water on my face, and decide to head down to the common room.