Chapter 40

My head snapped towards the voice my eyes already narrowed. As soon as my eyes met his laughing green ones mine softened a bit.

 “Eughh! Why are you here?!” I groaned my head turning back to the lawn of grass and the close approaching tree line ahead of me. “Ehh I’m bored and where ever you go you always stir up trouble and life gets that little bit more interesting.” He grinned. 

“Well not to upset you or anything but I was really hoping for some quiet ME time.” 

Out of the corner of my eye I saw his face drop a bit and I instantly felt bad. 

“Yeah well, you’re going to have an angry ass Kale coming after you in no more than five minutes I estimate ,so you’ll probably need some protection. “ H said with a triumphant grin.

‘Aww crap I almost forgot about him! ‘ I thought mentally slapping myself.

We ran side by side as we plunged through the undergrowth the scents of damp earth and vegetation filling our nostrils. “So anywhere in particular?” 

I frowned in thought. “Actually yeah.  This way.” I grumbled changing direction instantly wondering what the heck I was doing. 

About half way to my destination Ben finally asked where we were going. 

“Where we’re going? We are going back to the place where Kale found me a couple of nights ago.” I said simply. 

It took a few seconds for it to sink in, but when it did he’d pulled us to a stop, his large hand gripping my wrist tightly.

“Ohhhh no we’re not!” He exclaimed loudly his eyes sternly narrowed.

“Hah ohhhh YES we are!” I cried trying to pull away from him.

“No we’re not! There is no way we are going back there.” He growled.

“Why not?” I asked rolling my eyes.

Ben opened his mouth to say something but then shut it.

“Look, going back there is not safe and you know it.” He ground out.

“It’s just where I was beaten up! There’s nothing that scary or dangerous about it.” I said trying to keep my voice light hearted. 

“Kaeala...!”

“What!?”

I looked at him, his eyes softened and worried. But his jaw was tightly set and suspicion began to arise my eyes narrowing a bit.

“Why is it so fricking ‘dangerous!?!”

“Because Jace didn’t...” Ben stopped his eyes wide, and he clamped his mouth shut instantly looking uncomfortable.

“Ben...tell me. Now.” I whispered.

Ben shook his head and looked away. “Nothing.”

“Tell me!” I growled taking a step towards him. “What do you know!!” I half screamed at him.

“Look it doesn’t matter, I’m not going!” He snapped glaring at me.

“Fine.”  I said a smirk playing on my lips. “ But then you’re going to have to explain to Kale why you left me by myself knowing where I was going if it’s ‘so dangerous’ .” I said cheerfully spinning on my heel and marching away from him.

Ben cursed loudly before stomping angrily after me. 

“Come on, we’re going to have to be quick. Kale will be on his way.” Muttered Ben grumpily as he started to jog.