Chapter 45

“You’re not alone.”

Those last three whispered words were the last I heard before my exhaustion took over my eyes closing, and my mind drifting off into a peaceful darkness.

 As I drifted by to the surface of reality, emerging from sleep I felt Kale’s body warmly pressed against mine. His strong protective arms encased around me cocooning me in the strangeness of safety.  I relished the feeling all my worries, all thoughts and nightmares of the past slipping away easily through my minds fingers.

The room was quite, almost silent except for our soft breathing. I kept my eyes closed holding onto my sleeping façade not wanting this strange feeling of safety and peace to end. I could hear Kales heart pumping in his chest in a slow rhythmic beat. In an instant Kale’s body stiffened and my heart skipped a beat my eyes nearly flying open at his sudden movement. …what..?

As if to answer my query  I began to pick up foot falls from the hall way as someone approached my door. There was the slight jutter and squeak of the metal door handle as a heavy hand grasped it and pushed it downwards to open the door. I felt Kale’s head leave the bed as it snapped towards the door. “Kaela you in here?”.

I almost groaned aloud. It was Ryan again. “ You wake her and your dead.” Whispered Kale with a low growl which rumbled up from his chest.

Ryan was quiet for a bit. “What the hell are you guys doing in here?” He asked his voice just above a whisper.

Kale thought about it for a minute and then not quite knowing what to say simple whispered back with a quiet grumble. “None of your business.”

The room when quiet again and I fought hard to keep a steady heart beat and refrain from moving. I could feel the tension in the air and the hostility from Kale growing.

“Is she okay?” Asked Ryan after a long time.

“She’s fine.” Snapped Kale his voice rising. “You finished in here?”

Ryan growled and Kale stiffened further. I could feel the muscles in his arms flexing with tension .

After another minute or so of silence the door slowly closed with a click and Ryan’s footsteps retreated down the hall. It wasn’t until long after Ryan had gone that Kale slowly relaxed again his head dropping back down onto the bed. I waited a little while long before shuffling round to face him. My face snuggled into the loose folds of his crinkled shirt. It still smelt of his cologne with the faint smells of citrus and leather. Kale.

 “How long have you been awake?” He murmured softly.

“Not long.”

My thumb and forefinger griped gently onto one of the folds in Kale’s shirt , and played with it’s soft texture my fingers swirling in circles.

“How long have you been seeing…” I began quietly.

“Since you first got here.”

A knot in my stomach tightened. Everything. He’d seen everything. I felt like I was choking. Everything. Not just what had just happened but everything. Right up from the first when I got here.

“So you thought you’d come back did you?” Came a cold harsh voice from behind me.

I turned round quickly my heart pounding in my chest and instincts telling me to run. A tall figure stood leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and a sick grin on his face.

I swallowed dryly. “Everything.”

It came out in a hoarse whisper.

Kale looked at me his eyes soft and relaxed. There wasn’t a hint of eagerness or curiosity. Or even anger.