Chapter 48

The warm up laps were easy, and didn’t really take a lot of effort. I ran between Mitch and Ryan, maintaining a steady pace. We held back from the front. I wanted to run faster, but Ryan gripped my wrist and tugged me back. “Don’t show your full speed. You’ll draw attention.”

“You could fake a stitch if you want?” Said Mitch cheerfully.

So we went at a slow run, not stopping until we made it back to the teacher. The class began sorting it’s self out into two teams.

“Do we have to split?” I whispered to Ryan.

Ryan grinned at me. “Not if you don’t want to, but it would make things more interesting.”

Mitch and I went on one team, and Ryan decided to go with the other team. I noticed some of the boys on the other team watch Ryan join them, and grow smug smiles on their faces. It seemed they’d just gained the best player.

When the teacher brought a heavy metal bat I knew it was going to be fun. Soft ball. I stuck close to Mitch as we lined up, after our captain wining the game of rock paper scissors and choosing to bat.   

Imeadiately half the girls fought and shuffled to the back of the line, leaving only the popular kids up front. Mitch and I were in the middle.

I watch as the guys on our team batted, and smirked when Ryan pretended to miss a catch.

When it was Mitch’s turn the whole opposite team froze ready for action. “ Come on Mouse.” Whispered Ryan.

Mitch  felt the weight of the bat in his hands and twisted it round in his hand for a bit. Mitch bent his knees ever so slightly and nodded at the bowler.

The ball flew through the air, and then at the last moment Mitch struck it, sending it flying across the field. “RUN MITCH RUN!” I yelled watching him already sprinting to the first base. Ryan ran after the ball outrunning the other members of his team. I saw the gleam in his eyes as he crouched to pick up the ball. He grinned and threw it back towards home base.

“Come on Mitch!” I yelled.

Mitch’s blonde hair blew about his face in the breeze as he sped towards home.

As the ball came soaring down I winced. A chorus of groans echoed from our team.

“Tough luck Mitch!” Laughed Ryan jogging back up field.

“Damn.” Cursed Mitch wiping his hair out of his face.

“Batter up!”

I met Ryan’s eyes as I picked up the metal bat to take my turn. The boys on the other team grinned at me.   “Go easy…” He whispered in a voice barely audible for anyone else on the field but Mitch and I.  The field was quiet, everyone watching the new girl. “Go Kaela Wooo!!!” Yelled Mitch from the end of the line breaking the silence.

I smirked flicking the bat in my hands and crouching down ready. Making eye contact with the bowler I signaled I was ready. The bowler was a sleazy looking boy with greasy slicked hair, and thin lips. His face was smug as he drew back his arm and threw the ball. My eyes locked on the ball as it flew towards me. Hands tightening round the bat I swung it, feeling the vibration of the impact as it struck the ball sending it flying. CLANG. Everyone other then Ryan was momentarily distracted watching the ball fly over their heads, watching it in disbelief. “RUN!” Yelled Mitch. And I did.

I took off arms pumping and hurtling towards the first base, only just remembering to keep my pace

‘slow’ . The field was in commotion. “PASS IT HERE!!!” Yelled the boy on base two as I approached. “HERE!!” He yelled desperately. Searching across the field Ryan had the ball and was preparing to hurtle it towards base three. I increased my pace speeding past base two and approaching three. I shouldered past Andrew on base three as he tried to catch the ball, catching him by surprise. He missed the catch and I sped on.  “Hurry up Andrew!!” Hollered Ryan.