The Secret Life ((Part 1))

Everybody needs inspiration  

Everybody needs a song.  

A beautiful melody, when the night's so long.  

'Cause there is no guarantee, that this life is easy....

I rolled over and hit the off button on my alarm clock. Dang, I thought to myself before sitting up in bed. I winced in pain and then fell backwards, back onto my bed.  

"I told him not to leave a bruise." I growled to no one in particular.  

Taking a deep breath, I tried once again to get up, this time, successfully. I felt like a ninety year old woman, creeping across my plush red carpet, towards my bathroom. I flinched when the light illuminated the bathroom, but proceeded to move in front of the mirror. I saw dark circles under each of my eyes, but nothing that a little cover-up couldn't fix. Slowly, so I wouldn't cause my back any more pain than necessary, I lifted my shirt over my head; the same shirt I had worn the whole day yesterday and the whole night because I had been too tired to change before I crashed. I pulled my hair up into a bun and then turned, glancing over my shoulder, to see a very black, fist size bruise, in the middle of my back.  

"Son of a bitch." I whispered, contorting my arm so I could touch it. It was defiantly tender. A bay of howls and barks sounded outside and I sighed. There was more important things to do than worry over a bruise, I'd had many of those in my life time.  

In a quick manner, or as quick as I could move without causing myself bodily pain, I showered, dressed, rung out my hair, and applied massive amounts of cover-up to hide the bruises under my eyes. Since I had on my usual wardrobe: black cami (tight and easy to move around in) and black capris (loose fitting and easy to hide stuff under with lots of pockets), I had to put on my favorite leather jacket too, to cover up the bruise on my back. With that done, I grabbed my duffel bag and ran downstairs to take down of the animals.

The horses were the easies, being there was only two of them. I filled their buckets -one scoop for the filly and two and a half for the gelding- and then threw a few flakes of hay next to them; It was the dogs that were hard. They threw a fit when they saw me coming, baying and growling at each other, pawing the ground and semi-climbing the chain-link fence.  

"Calm down." I told them, pulling on my black leather gloves. They continued baying.  

I walked over to the shed and unlocked the outdoor freezer that was set up there. I winced at the smell that hit my face when I opened it.  

"Uh- you're lucky you guys are cute." I said to the dogs, reaching in and pulling out a large meat carcass from the butcher shop.  

I dragged it over to the fence and hurled it over, all six-feet, of chain link. The dogs instantly ran to it, pulling at the meat and snarling at each other. I went back to the freezer and grabbed another, smaller, carcass and threw that over too. Satisfied, I grabbed a medium package with fresher, fine cut meat, and brought it over to the separate kennel, adjacent to the dog yard.  

"Here you go baby girl, special for you." I told my favorite dog Bebe, a black wolf/Dutch shepherd mix. She wagged her tail back and forth as I opened the gate and laid the four slices of meat in her bowl. She waited politely until I had locked her cage back up before running over to the meat.  

With that job done, I stripped the gloves off, locked the freezer, and ran back for the kitchen to grab my duffel bag and catch the stupid bus. Mom was in the kitchen washing dishes. She was humming to herself, some song I didn't recognize.  

I tried to sneak past her, so I could avoid confrontation, but it was impossible, almost like she had super-hearing.  

"You got in late last night." She commented.  

"Yea," I said. "Lost track of time." The bruise on my back pulsed as a reminder.  

"How many times do I have to remind you that eleven is your curfew on school nights?" She fussed.  

"Look, I'm sorry. Okay? It wont happen again. Now can I go?" I pulled inched my way towards the front door.  

"I just feel like if your father hadn't left, then maybe you'd be better."  

"Mom, stop." I warned. This was exactly what I had been wanting to avoid.  

"I just don't understand what is going on in your head Cheyenne. You stay out late, you drink and party. I'm pretty sure you have sex because I found the condoms in your room..."  

"Mom, stop." I warned again.  

"Just because your father left us, doesn't mean you have to act out."  

And that was all I could take. I turned, completely ignoring her calls, and high tailed out of there. That was one thing about my mom, she was so naïve, so innocent, when it came to the world around her and I didn't want to be the one to shatter it for her.

The ugly yellow bus pulled up to my driveway less than a minute after I got there. The faded black letters on the side said: Redding Senior High. I sighed and climbed the stairs, making my way to seat twenty-two in the back that I had long claimed as mine.  

It was empty, of course. No one had dared to sit in it since I had made that freshmen cry at the beginning of the year. I smiled to myself and pulled out my ipod. I never wore both headphones, it was a lesson I had learned a young age, you have to always be aware of your surroundings, and you obviously can't do that with music blasting in both of your ears. I closed my eyes and leaned back in my seat, to enjoy the long, bumpy ride to school.  

"Cheyenne, oh my god. What happened to your car?" Asked Cara, one of my friends.  

I shrugged and put my ipod away. "I totaled it last night."  

My little group of people gaped at me. "You ruin almost every car you get. How the hell do you afford a new one all the time?" Asked Maddie, one of the sophomore chicks that had rotated into my circle of friends the year before.  

"Money?" I said in as if I was implying 'duh'.  

She laughed but I could tell my comment had embarrassed her. We pushed our way into the school and headed towards my locker.  

"So, there's that new movie out tonight, Daybreakers or something like that." Cara said. "Are you coming?"  

I looked over at her and smiled. "You know I love a good vampire movie."  

Cara smiled back, "Well duh, that's why I was asking you."  

I playfully shoved her with my shoulder and grabbed my books. "Lets get to class."  

The other girls had already dispersed through the school so it was only Cara and I, walking to class, just like old times.

Tell me what you think :] Vote/Comment.  

(warning: this story may move slowly since I'm making it up as I go so suggestions will go a long way).