Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Chapter 21))

~Jace~

As I drove, or as Anna would say, “tore the roads up and threatened all of our existences” I reached into my duffel bag and pulled out my cell phone. I don’t know why, but it seemed like I should give Doc a call.
He answered on the second ring.
“Jace! Is everything alright?!”
“Yes Doc, why would you ask?”
“Because its two am!! You guys never call me unless something’s wrong.”
I chuckled at this, he was right.
“No, I just kind of thought like I’d pay my respects to our fallen solider since he can’t join us in our battle tonight.”
Doc sighed on the other end of the line.
“Parker is still in pretty bad shape. I can’t get a good scan on his head yet because I don’t want the other people seeing his scans and getting curious, but once I do I’ll know everything I need to. I’m afraid he has some brain damage of some sort.”
I clutched the steering wheel with my hand tightly; it began cracking under the pressure. Anna’s hand came into my view from the passenger’s seat and took the phone from me, putting it on speaker so everyone could hear. I put my other hand on the wheel as well to make her feel better.
“Well tell him we’re thinking of him.” I told Doc.
“I will Jace.” He replied.
I heard a baby start fussing in the background.
“Well, I think that’s my cue to go. My little girl is getting up and she’s going to be hungry. Be safe Jace; I would really hate loosing anymore of you guys.”
I looked in the rearview mirror at all the hunters and the dogs and thought about coming home without one of them. It wasn’t going to happen.
“Don’t worry Doc, we’ll be safe. I’ll make sure of it.”
After that it was silent driving until Anna finally spoke up.
“Pull off onto that trail right there. It’s very narrow so its walking from here.”
Our eyes met and I saw all the courage and determination in hers that I was lacking in mine. Somehow, that made me feel stronger.

~Chey’s POV~

I needed to find a safe place to go; somewhere that I could keep Jasmine and somewhere that I could get my thoughts together. The doctor’s quarters suddenly popped into my head -I would have to pass my old room first and then go through the main hallway- but there was a good chance I could get there.
I accelerated my pace, hearing the vampires behind me pick up their pace too, and then stopped at my room. My door was slightly ajar which means that they’ve already ransacked my room. I guess there would be no problem just going in there for a second…
I ducked into my room and placed Jas on my bed.
“Stay right there sweetie.” I told her, running to the corner to get my old duffel bag.
I’d been allowed one dresser when I lived here, it had a couple of my clothes in it, but mostly stuff they had issued me since I’d been here. I shoved some things in the bag, but nothing in particular because I didn’t really have an attachment to any of these clothes; it was what’s under the clothes that I was interested in. I knew that they hadn’t found my secret stash of weapons because nobody knew about the compartments under my clothes except me.
I popped open the bottom of the drawer and grabbed two stakes and dagger I had there, shoving them on top of the clothes in my bag. Now it was time to go. I scooped Jas into my arms again and threw the duffel bag over the shoulder she was holding onto. The two vampires were waiting for us outside my door; I ignored them to the best of my abilities and headed towards the medical wing.
I would be lying if I said the doctor wasn’t surprised to see us. I guess word had gotten around that I was vampire meat and he hadn’t expected to see me human (if that’s what I was even considered anymore) and with child. The two vampires lunged for him, sensing danger, but didn’t attack. I placed Jas on the floor with my duffel bag and walked over to him.
“You’ve been pretty kind to me doc so I wont kill you;” I told him. “But I do need somewhere safe to stay and it wont be safe here with you around.”
I ran towards him, tackling his body into the wall. His head banged against it and his eyes fell slack; he was out cold.
“Open those doors,” I ordered the vampires.
They opened the doors to the storage closet and I shoved doc in, locking them behind him. When that was done I turned around to look at the medical room. The shades to the windows were open so anyone who walked by in the hallway would be able to see me; that was not good. I quickly closed them and then locked the door I had come through. Jasmine was still sitting on the floor, she had the strap to my duffel bag in her mouth and she was laughing to herself.
She looked like such a normal child, except for her eyes of course, which were Jace’s intense violet color; I couldn’t imagine her holding such darkness inside her. My dreams of her growing up like a normal child were slowly fading, unless I could help her.
I shook my head; getting rid of all that inner babble, and Annie’s words to me in that dream: You can never get rid of me, as long as your heart is beating, I will always be a part of you. As long as you’re alive, I will live on too; and really, its just a matter of time before you don’t exist anymore and its just me, running that beautiful little body of yours.
Did the same apply for Jas? Was Annie a part of her too or was it just my tainted blood that kept her going? I wasn’t sure, but there was one thing I was sure of. She was far more powerful than me, or probably even Annie.
I turned to face the medical cabinets and a thought occurred to me; if I do get out alive, there are so many drugs and medicines here that the Council has spent decades working on. Why let them all go to waste? I grabbed my duffel bag from the floor and opened it and then opened the cabinet. There were about twelve or more vials of the liquid birth control the doctor had me on along with half a dozen bottles of medicines that I’d seen work wonders on the immortals and my own body.
I shoved those all into my bag along with the syringes and then zipped it up, throwing it on the medical counter so Jasmine couldn’t get a hold of it. Slowly, I made my way over to her and sat in front of her on the floor.
“You are so beautiful.” I told her, cupping her chubby cheek in my hand.
Where she had her father’s eyes and perfect features, everything else of hers was mine. Her hair, her complexion, her feisty personality. I couldn’t help but admire this wonder -but deadly- creature Jace and I had made. It saddened me to think of what would become of her; she was still so young so it was impossible to tell if welding all that dark power would have any affects on her.
Jasmine pushed herself over onto her hands and knees, and then, using my own knees as leverage, stood up so she could look me in the eyes.
I felt my heart racing as her eyes pierced mine because Jace’s face popped into my head. I had done so much damage between him and me that I feared even if I survived this him and I would never be the same. Jas continued staring at me so I held her gaze, unwavering, and refusing to cry. I don’t know how long we stayed like that but suddenly I heard a lot of shouting coming from the hallways. Had they found us?
I broke our gazes and lifted her up into my arms, peeking out of the room. There were certainly a lot of people running down the hallways -most I recognized as council members- but none of them were stopping here.
And that’s when I felt it; it was weak and a little dull around the edges, nothing like it used to be, but it was there and I knew that Jace was close.
He’s coming for us. I thought to myself and then squeezed Jasmine into my chest.

~James’ POV~

I chased the half-breed for a long time through many different hallways before I couldn’t take it anymore. I stopped running and un-tied my shoe from my foot; in one quick motion I threw it at his head and he stumbled and hit the wall.
“What the fuck?”
He looked down at my shoe and then whirled around to face me, but it was too late. I tackled him to the ground and punched his face time and time again. But I underestimated him; he lifted his arms up and wrapped his hands around my neck, squeezing until my air-ways were cut off. I threw a few more punches to his face, trying to get him to let go, but he only tightened his grip; it was at that point when the beast inside me started to panic.
In a fluid motion, I pulled my head back and then slammed it forward into his face, hearing a satisfying crack when it made contact with his nose. He let go of my neck then and I stood up and slammed my still shoed foot, into his stomach. His body convulsed and he grabbed a hold of my leg, pulling me down again.
“You’re a clever little hybrid.” I told him, shoving my elbow into his side.
He flipped his body over mine and sent a punch of his own into my face.
“I will end you!” He yelled, reaching under his shirt for something.
I thought it was going to be a knife, so you could only understand my surprise when there was a gun resting on my head.
“Any last words, freak?” He asked.
I chuckled, amused.
“You’re a supernatural being calling another supernatural being a freak? Don’t you think that’s a little hypocritical?”
He cocked the gun and put more pressure against my head.
“I would be being very nice to me right now if I were you.” Uriah warned.
I tsked at him and smiled.
“Are you so weak that you have to use a gun on me rather than fight me one-on-one.”
I guess I had hit a nerve because Uriah pulled the gun back and hit me across the face with the butt of it. I winced at the contact but used this opportunity to throw him off of me. He landed against the wall and before he could recover I tackled him, grabbing a hold of his arm that was holding the gun and shaking it until the gun hit the ground.
It fired off a shot on its own that ricocheted off the wall and into the ceiling. Uriah punched me again while I was distracted and I fell backwards a few steps and then had to pop my jaw back into place.
“You know what? I’ve changed my mind.” I said.
I lunged for the gun on the floor and held it up to Uriah’s head. His eyes widened in surprise and I smiled at his fear.
“I feel like I can save so much trouble this way, thanks for the gun.”
I blew off three bullets in his head before deciding he was dead. Uriah’s body slumped to the ground and his face disappeared under all the blood.
“Lovely,” I said, wrinkling my nose.
Now I had other matters to attend to, where were those other immortals hiding?

~Jace’s POV~

I felt a tingling sensation as we crossed the boundary that Anna said the magic surrounded. The Hunters didn’t react when they passed it but I saw Anna roll her neck a little bit; I guess the Hunters were human enough to not feel it. I did know the magic was bad, it made my body scream to turn around and run, but of course I didn’t do that. I continued walking until the magic left my body, now we were in an open field. From the distance I heard a siren.
“Well, that’s it.” Anna said. “I hope you’re all ready.”
I looked over at her and felt something nudge my hand; Shay. She looked up into my eyes, her tongue hanging out of the side of her mouth. I bent down next to her and stroked her face.
“Stay safe,” I whispered in her ear.
When I stood back up I saw Dave and Jane embracing, Santino and Mia kissing, just Paige was by herself and looking rather sad. She glared at me when she caught me looking though, she had her dogs, Parker's including Liam’s with her. I looked down at Bailey, Paige’s dog, if she died tonight who would take care of her puppies? And then I looked over and found Bebe; her and Coach were standing next to each other, Coach was nuzzling her neck. Bebe hadn’t been herself lately, and it wasn’t just because Cheyenne’s been gone, I think there was something else going on with her.
Before I could think any deeper into it, the moon shifted in the sky until it was in my eyes, and then I heard them coming.
Because they no longer hand functioning minds, the vampires were noisy and alerted us to their presence long before they were on us. Everyone got into position and I stole a glance at Anna; my mind told me that she was a very powerful being, but every other part of me wanted to protect her. She was so small and fragile looking…
The first group of vampires came into the clearing and we jumped into battle. My assessed the situation as I took out the first three vampires that attacked me, trying to count as many of them as I could. This couldn’t be their whole ‘protection unit’ all I counted was sixty-vampires. One made a leap for me and I shoved my sword through its body, piercing its heart…fifty-nine.
I felt Cheyenne through the bond, it was a much stronger connection than we’ve had for a long time and I wondered if maybe the magic barriers had some play in keeping our bond cut-off. As I killed off another three vampires I turned to asses our progress only to see Anna standing in the middle of a group of vampires.
They weren’t attacking her, which was strange; instead, they were transfixed on her, almost as if she had them under a spell, and she was chanting a spell in a language I didn’t under stand -probably her native tongue. I watched them all in awe, this would be the perfect opportunity to kill them, I wasn’t sure how she was doing it, but they were frozen, and they needed to die. It looked like some of the Hunters had the same idea as me because they began taking the vampires around her out; none of them so much as reacted to the slaughtering happening around them.
Suddenly, Anna lifted her left arm up into the sky and brought her right arm to her wrist, running her dagger from her wrist to her elbow. I watched, in a trans, as the blood slowly left the wound and fell down her arm. My muscles stopped working then, my body froze, and I realized in the back of brain that I had gotten caught under her spell as well. I light formed from the hand she had raised and slowly, the light started taking shape of a sword. As soon as the sword formed the vampires spell was broken and they charged after her. Welding the mysterious, glowing sword, Anna’s translucent skin glowed in the dark night.
It took me a minute to realize my body was released too and I charged over to help her, jumping in the middle of the circle.
“What was that?” I asked, my back to hers.
“I feel more comfortable welding my own sword.” She told me, grunting as she took down vampires.
Now I’m no expert, but unless you use Iron, anything you do to a vampire isn’t permanent. Anna’s sword obviously wasn’t Iron but as it sliced through the vampire’s hearts, I saw it do something else entirely. The vampire’s faces would almost light up, and then, as they fell and hit the ground their bodies combusted just as if a match was thrown on them.
I was about to ask Anna about that when I felt her presence. I looked up to see Cheyenne standing at the edge of field; she was holding two stakes, one in each hand, and she looked more beautiful than ever. A vampire jumped on my back, sinking his teeth into my neck and I had to look away from her. By the time I had the vampire killed and looked back up she was gone.
Had I imagined her?
But then I turned again and saw her fighting along side the Hunters, dogs, and Anna.
A small smile formed on my face.

__________________________________________________________________________

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CHAPTER!
I REPEATE, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CHAPTER!

You see what happened was, I was typing away on my Word Doc and I realized I had enough to break it up into two chapters. This one is kind of a build up for the ending (:

Hope you enjoy. I'm posting one more chapter tonight and then an epilogue soon (:
What would you guys like to see in the epilogue?

Vote/Comment