The Secret Life ((Part 14))

I went home after school and touched my car, which was still in the driveway where I'd left it.

Mom was inside cleaning.

It seemed like she was always doing something now a days.

"Hi honey, how was school?" She asked before I could escape up the stairs.

"Okay?" I said, though it came out as a question.

"And how about that wonderful boy Jace? He is such a gentleman. I hope he's coming over tonight." She mused.

God I was going to kill him for tweaking her brain like that.

"Uh- I don't know mom." I said and then ran up the stairs before she could start planning out wedding or some shit.

I couldn't relax in my room.

I felt like a restless animal, pacing back and forth in its cage.

A walk, I decided. That was what I needed.

I went out back and got Bebe, she had forever been my walking partner.

The wolf/Dutch shepherd mix lunged from her cage and did a crazy dance around me.

"Walk time?" I asked her in a baby voice.

She howled three times at me and we hit the trails.

My house was surrounded by over a thousand acres of land on three sides.

The front part led down to the road and all of the other houses.

Dad had chosen this desolate spot for obvious reasons.

No nosy neighbors means no questions got asked.

In some ways I loved where we lived, I had always enjoyed jogging on the trails with Bebe by my side, but there were other times when I didn't like them.

No nosy neighbors means no one to hear you scream if vampires came to your house at night.

So far though, none, except Jace, had made a habit of visiting me.

It seems like the vampire hunter isn't a very popular title.

But then there was the vampire who delivered that crazed horse to me.

I wish I could figure out who had done that because I would seriously enjoy killing them.

Bebe suddenly bristled beside me.

Her hackles went up and she bared her large, pearly white teeth.

"What is it?" I asked her.

And then I hear it.

There was a very low growling sound coming from ahead of us.

If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was a bear, but I knew better.

A very large rusty colored wolf jumped from the bushes.

He was alone, which should have been my first sign, but I really didn't want to believe it.

There was foam all around the wolf's mouth and his growl was kind of erratic.

It was only when he stepped into a patch of sunlight and screamed, that I realized what he was.

My little vampire friend had delivered me another present.

Before I could move, the wolf lunged itself into the air, ignoring the burn when the sunlight hit it. He was going for my throat.