The Secret Life ((Part 10))

When I was sure that Jace had gotten rid of the body and was long gone I went back outside and let all the dogs loose, bringing them into my room with me. I thought that knowing all of them were safe would help me sleep, it didn't.

Sleep.

Every time I close my eyes nightmares engulf me. The beautiful black horse, its blood red eyes, the feeling of giving up...

I tossed and turned for a majority of the night and then my fingers brushed a soft fabric under my pillow. I wrapped my hand around it and pulled it out; it was Jace's shirt from the night he brought me home.

I buried my face in the shirt and breathed it in. It still smelled like his cologne, I no longer thought of it as my father's cologne.

With Jace's shirt wrapped around me, sort of like an embrace, I fell into a deep, un-nightmared, sleep.

When the sun began beaming on my face, I got out of bed to a new day. I tucked Jace's shirt back under my pillow and wadded into the shower.

I got dressed in sensible clothes and ran downstairs with the dogs trailing behind me.

I'd been a horrible owner the last two days and I felt like showing them I still loved them. I fed them some extra juicy meat and gave the horses some alpha hay.

When that was done my stomach gave a nasty snarl; I was hungry! Mom wasn't in the kitchen so I made myself a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, smiling at the irony. And then I made another bowl. It felt good to eat again.

I felt like before I left I should make sure my mom was okay. She was in her room, curled in a ball on her bed.

"Mom? Are you okay?"

She looked up. Her cheeks were tear streaked and her eyes red and puffy. She sobbed a couple of times and then wiped her eyes.

"I didn't want to remember." She told me. "All those horrible things. I can't-I can't live with that."

I bit my lip and closed her door. On the way to school I dialed up Jace.

"What a wonderful surprise.." He said. "To what do I owe this immense pleasure?"

I held back an eye roll and said. "I want you to change my mom's memory. Let her know my dad died, just...erase everything else. Vampires and all that horrible stuff. Please?"

He sighed on the other end of the phone. "If you want, I'd do anything."

This time I did roll my eyes. "Just make it quick.." I hung up and drove, at a reasonable speed, to school.

I avoided Cara, I didn't think I could handle her drama today, but actually went to all of my classes and got all the work I'd missed.

I had no freaky "blood bond" visions from Jace, so that was nice, and when I got home I let the dogs out to run.

I didn't know what to expect when I went into the house, but my mom cooking dinner and humming to herself was defiantly not it. She had showered and changed and actually looked happy.

I put my backpack down and stepped into the kitchen.

"Mom?" And then I saw a movement from the corner of my eye, Jace was sitting at the kitchen table, smiling like a fool.

"Jace...what are you doing here?" I asked, faking a smile.

He smiled back, "Well beautiful, your mom invited me to dinner."

Beautiful? Wtf?

My mom turned around, big smile plastered on her face.

"I knew you would find someone eventually. This one's a real keeper."

My eyes bugged out.

"A keeper?" I asked and then glared at Jace. "Hey pookie, can we talk?" I made sure to heavily fake the loving enthusiasm.

When we were out of hearing ranger I whirled around and said, "Really? What was that?"

Jace smiled cockily and said, "You told me to take away the bad memories and I just had to give her something for the reason of my presence around the house all the time; so I told her we are madly in love and cant bare to be apart."

I puked in my mouth a little.

"Well there goes my appetite. Good-job, love bug." I drawled out and then stormed from the room.

On the plus side, my mom looked better, much more upbeat; but on the downside she kept making comments about Jace and me and how we were such a "perfect match."

As if.

I watched Jace eat his whole plate of food, which I found to be weird, and wondered what happened to it once he swallowed.

The rest of the evening couldn't' have been more torturous and then finally, the sun went down.

"Well, I'll be on my way." Jace said, going to the door.

I held it open for him.

"Don't I get a goodnight kiss, muffin?" He puckered up.

I slammed the door in his face.

"Don't let the dogs bite your ass on the way out," I warned, and then ran upstairs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, I added in this shorter chapter to kind of put some humor in the story since its kind of going to reach a dark place soon.

Hope you guys enjoy it :]

Vote/Comment tell me what you think.