Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Part 7))

~Jace's POV~

The air around me was chilly, not that it mattered for me, but I was worried Jas would catch a cold. I wrapped her tighter in her little blanket and cradled her against my chest while scoping out each isle for danger. Rayne talked gibberish to herself from the compounds of the cart.

I finally got to the isle I was looking for and then stood there dumbfounded for a few minutes. Wtf? Who knew there were so many damn diaper options?

"I don't know Jas, I think maybe we'll just do it the way we did it when I was a baby..." I told her, starting to get a little overwhelmed.

Why the hell didn't doc leave me with enough diapers. He knows that I don't go shopping. Hell, I don't even think that any of the hunters shop. Jasmine made one of her little sounds and I looked down at her, smiling.

"First child?" Somebody asked, which startled me because I've never been snuck up on by a human before.

I regarded her quickly and decided that there was no way she could be from The Secret Moon or any harm to Jas or me.

"Yes, she is, and I have a friend...a doctor friend, and he's suppose to be helping me but he got called out on an emergency," I signaled towards Rayne. "And left me to baby-sit and it seems like I don't have enough of anything."

The girls smiled at me, and I saw girl because she couldn't be anymore than twenty. She had fair skin, but not vampire fair, and had dark red hair and light blue eyes. I got almost a relaxing feeling from her and it made me calm down. When she moved I could see how translucent her skin really was, her blue veins seemed like they were almost on the surface.

"Do you have a kid?" I asked her, pulling my eyes from her bare neck and shoulders.

"No, but I do have a big family. Lots of younger brother's and sister's. Do you need diapers for just the young one or both of them?"

I thought about that for a second and then said, "Both of them."

She smiled sweetly at me and appraised Rayne for a second.

"You'll probably need these for her, after a certain age its kind of like 'one size fits all' and then for that one..."

She leaned in towards Jas but I pulled Jas further away. This girl may have been harmless but that didn't mean I wanted her near my baby...not yet at least.

"Um, is she a newborn?" The girl asked, biting her lip.

I nodded. "Yea, just a day old, she's actually a little premature."

"Then you'll need the extra small." She walked passed me and grabbed a pack and then threw them in my cart with Rayne's.

She turned gracefully and smiled at me again.

"Do you need anything else?"

"Actually, yea, I do," I said, balancing Jas in one arm and reaching into my back pocket to pull out the shopping list doc had made for me.

I handed it to the girl and our hands brushed. An unfamiliar sensation filled me and I pulled back quickly, I don't think she noticed. Or if she did she was really good at hiding it.

"Ah, yes I can help you with this. Very common newborn list. Follow me?" She asked, spinning again and then skipping down the isle.

Jeez, this girl had a lot of energy. As I placed my hand on the cart a memory flooded into my mind, so quickly that my grip loosened on Jas for only a second.

~

The girl is four, she's running in the woods from a scary monster. Her little heart is racing and her translucent skin is shining in the moonlight, making her veins look even bluer. She runs harder and then suddenly she trips on something and falls to the ground, scraping her hands (even the memory of her blood makes my throat burn).