Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Part 17))

The room was black, the air around me thick with the smell of floor cleaners and new paint. Since I couldn’t see anything I had to open up my other senses -- I used my enhanced feelers to scope out the room; someone was here, I knew it. They tip-toed around by the wall, probably using it to keep their bearings and not run into something; this scene was giving me flashbacks.

Flashbacks to the night that we battled Annie and the other vampires -- the air had been black and thick with fire smoke, I had been desperately trying to get away from her, trying to get out before she killed me, this situation was similar and it made me squeamish to think about it. This situation was hitting too close to home, but I had to stay strong if I was going to pass the test.

Silence, here was my chance; I jumped forward and grabbed onto the arm of my pursuer, throwing them into the nearby wall. She ‘humped’ though she may have been a he, I wasn’t too sure about that yet. I punched out, but she dodged, which made my fist hit the wall, cracking it and probably my knuckles.

I paused, assessing the area with my extra senses like I had been training these past few months. I heard a movement in the back corner.

With the stealth and silence that only a vampire or vampire hybrid could have I ambushed my target and disabled him/her on the floor. The lights to the room flashed on and I shielded my eyes while holding my victim down at the same time.

“Very nice Cheyenne, that was executed perfectly.” Holly said.

I looked up at the council member that had become sort of a mentor for me during my stay here. Her dark brown hair was down, cascading over her shoulders and down her tall torso. I nodded and stood up; my victim, who was a girl as it turns out, stood as well. She nodded to me, than Holly, and then limped from the room.

“Come with me to medical so we can fix up your hand before it heals.”

I looked down at my bloodied, crushed knuckles and then followed her out the door, but not before noticing the hole I had left in the solid concrete wall.

“I haven’t seen you here in a while.” Dr. Riverton (Kevin) said as he re-set my fingers in a temporary cast.

“Yea, I’ve been trying to avoid being poked and prodded.” I admitted, looking around.

“I understand,” He replied. “But you have to understand, they haven’t found a hybrid like you in a long time; your genetics should not be able to exist…” He trailed off.

During my stay here I had been put under many long, and irritating tests, many of which required a lot of needles and blood work --all things that I had been careful to avoid my whole life. Apparently, someone like me should be able to exist. I wasn’t human but I wasn’t vampire; in a regular hunter their genetics were split perfectly in the middle which is why they were able to keep from turning into blood thirsty monsters, but got a thrill from the kill.

The others are tainted by darkness only because of the vampire blood that mingles through the veins, the blood that comes out stronger during adrenalin rushes (i.e. fighting) which is why we experience tremors, shakes, sometimes nervous breakdowns; but it seems in me, everything was heightened to a whole new level.

“Speaking of poking…” Kevin said, turning his back on me to pick up a needle with a clear liquid in it.

I groaned and exposed my arm for him.

“Do it quickly.” I told him, closing my eyes tightly.

Kevin chuckled and then a second later said “You can open your eyes now.

I had my reasons for coming to this place; some might not agree with me, I knew that Jace didn’t. I didn’t check in on him often because I didn’t want anyone to catch me zoned out like that and start asking questions but that doesn’t mean that I was able to avoid his emotions all the time, especially when he spitefully threw them at me…