The Secret Moon ((Part 7))

Saturday was very long. I took care of the mutant animals, fed the horses and dogs, went to the store because I felt like it, and bought a really sexy pair of black leather boots. When I got home it was time to get ready for the big party that night. I wore a sexy black dress to match my new boots and made sure my dagger was stored safely under it in my special hilt. We met in front of the house and paired up; it seemed better if we showed up to the party with dates because a.) it would keep us from being hit on and b.) it would explain why strangers were attending.

Jace and I paired up, Paige and Parker, Jane and Dave, and Santino brought Liam his "cousin." The host showed us around for a bit and directed us to the drink table and then we split up in our groups. Jace and I pretended to dance while we both scoped out the scene. We had been dancing for a while when I spotted a familiar face in the crowd.

"Hey Jace, I'll be right back."

His eyebrows furrowed but he nodded. "Stay closed."

I pushed through the dancing, hormonal teenagers and stopped in front of James.

"If I didn't know any better I would say you were stalking me." I told him.

James looked at me and for a second it seemed he was worried about something but that worry quickly faded and was replaced with his usual cocky grin.

"Or you're stalking me; this is, after all, my cousin's party."

"Oh your cousin from the bar that night?" I asked.

"No, a different one." He replied.

"Wow, you sure have a lot of cousins." I informed him.

"I have a big family. They enjoy making babies."

When he said that last part he moved closer to me.

"So, wanna dance?"

I was going to say no but then I though, hey why the heck not? This is his cousin's party after all so maybe he had some insight. We danced with our bodies close together and enjoyed the feel of each other and then he asked.

"So whose the guy you came here with?"

I sighed and turned to face him. "A friend."

"Oh yea? You looked more than friends when you were dancing together. Your bodies seemed to magnetically pull together even if you didn't realize."

I stepped back from him and cocked my eyebrow. "Do you want to talk about my friend or do you want my full attention?"

James smiled and pulled me closer to him. "We should go somewhere more private."

I bit my lip and smiled at him. "Okay, lead the way."

James took my hand into his and led me towards the back door. We followed a path all the way to a gazebo in the middle of a lush garden. I looked for any sign of couples out here thinking that this would be the way for a kidnap to happen, not realizing that it was getting darker and darker the farther away from the house we went.

James pulled me against him when we were in the gazebo and crushed his lips down on mine. Okay let me just say that I don't know what I was thinking when I told him I'd go somewhere more private with him. Of course he would think that meant I wanted to screw his brains out, but in all honestly that had been the last thing on my mind.

I kissed him back hesitantly and couldn't help the cold shiver that ran through my blood. Something was wrong. Before I could react four guys jumped from the darkness and grabbed me and James. They had intricate tattoos painted on their faces to mask themselves but had a distinct musk smell to them. I fought at the restrain to my arms and managed to kick one of the guys in the face, hard.