Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Part 20))

~Jace’s POV~

Anna is an Angel.
I don’t know why I didn’t realize it in the beginning; after all, one doesn’t get to meet many Angel’s in their life, let alone two. I would have sworn that if I ever saw one again I would recognize it. I guess I was wrong.
I watched Anna standing by the trees with her head bowed; even with my vampire hearing I could just make out what she was saying “powerful trees, please give me the strength I need tonight to do what I need to do. Please assist me on my mission and fill this borrowed body with your essence, because without it, I wont be strong enough.”
She reached forward and placed her hand on the nearest tree and I saw a dark blue ball of energy begin forming. It got bigger and bigger and then suddenly it leaped from the tree into the palm of her hand. I watched as it filled her body, making her aura as blue as a morning sky. She leaned her head back, which caused all of her fiery red hair to pick up in the wind. When the energy settled she sighed and thanked the trees.
I pretended to be packing the van before she could turn around and see me gaping.
“I know you were watching, Jace.” She says, suddenly behind me.
I turn to look at her and pause. Her eyes, which were crystal blue before, now hold an inhuman glow in them.
“Tell me something,” I began.
“There’s nothing you don’t already know.”
“No, its not about you.” I said.
She cocked her head to the side and then nodded, urging me to continue.
“What happened to that Angel that saved me? When I woke up from the…process,” I said remembering all the horrible memories I had received of everything bad I’ve done in my life. “She was…well no, the body she was using was dead. Did she die too?”
I saw a weird expression cross Anna’s face; it was almost as if she was stricken…or sad?
“No, Gabriella’s Spirit came back to us and she told us all of her journey.”
Anna forced a smile; I was about to ask her why this topic was making her uncomfortable when Bebe trotted over to me and nudged my hand. Coach was with her, which I noticed that he was a lot lately, and she was giving me an anxious look.
“What is it?” I asked.
She whined and pawed at my foot and then looked up at the sky and shivered. When her eyes fell on me again they held a sad glow.
“Bebe, what is it?”
Her answer was to throw her head back and release the deepest, saddest howl I’ve ever heard in my life. It was so sad it made my un-moving heart squeeze. Anna knelt down next to Bebe and took her face in her hands; when Bebe’s eyes met hers I watched them both go into a trans. Anna stood up a few minutes later with a scared look on her face.
“What is it?” I asked.
“Something’s wrong with Cheyenne.”

~Chey’s POV~

The vampires circled in closer and I watched them pull back their lips to reveal their sharp, and discolored fangs.
I would be lying if I said my heart wasn’t racing. Its been a long time since I’ve been in a situation like this, and an even longer time since a vampire was my enemy. I yanked on the chains restraining me and lunged for the one closest to me.
“Your teeth wont come anywhere near my neck.” I spit at him, and then actually spit on his face.
He hissed and made a jump for me; I kicked out my leg, which caused my foot to connect to his face, and he flew backwards into the Iron bars.
They groaned again.
The other vampire made a leap at me too, thinking I wasn’t looking; I gave him a good hard kick too. In a flash, they were both up again, coming at me from the front this time, using team power. I backed up into the wall, getting ready to use all my strength to take them both on. One lunged, shoving me harder into the concrete wall and the second one closed in, waiting for an opening. I head-butted the first one, using the leverage of the wall to get my legs between us and kick him away, but he grabbed onto my legs, pulling me to him and away from the wall; now my head was on the ground and he was holding one of my legs up. I kicked him in the face with my free leg, and he released me, only to be replaced by the other one, whom jumped on top of me and seized both of my arms in his grasp.
He reached down for my neck, teeth grazing it, but the other vampire had gotten up, and he was mad. I guess luck was on my side for the moment because their vampire-territorial instincts kicked in and they started savagely fighting each other. I used their distraction to start working on my chains, if I could only just slip one hand out…
I squeezed my hand hard, trying to get it to bend, even break if it must, to get it out of the hold. I felt a couple bones began cracking and held in the whimper that wanted to escape my lips. When I opened my eyes, after the pain passed, I saw something in the darkness of the hallway, crawling towards my cell.
“Jasmine?” I said in disbelief.
The two vampires stopped their fighting long enough to notice the baby.
“No, Jasmine no!” I yelled as she moved closer to the cell.
The vampires disregarded their fighting and moved towards the cell door; I knew they could feel her vampire presence and I had to stop them from getting to her…but I couldn’t release the darkness. No, that was much too dangerous with her here. The last few times I had been unable to distinguish friend from foe, and I would not put my baby in danger. I quickly finished breaking the bones in my hand and pulled it from the restraint.
But it was too late; the vampires opened the cell door and stepped towards my baby.
“No!” I yelled, but that wasn’t necessary.
“No.” Jasmine repeated in her baby tongue.
The two vampires coming for her stopped walking; they stood as still as statues. Jasmine then continued crawling forward; I expected the vampires to make a lunge for her but they remained in their places only turning so their eyes could follow her; I noticed that their eyes were black.
When Jasmine was in reaching distance I scooped her up into my arm, ignoring the pain of protest in my slowly healing hand, and hugged her to me. She cooed happily, wrapping her little baby arms around my neck and burying her face into it. I felt her sniffing me and making content noises in her throat. When I pulled her back to look at her I noticed a single, fresh black tear-drop on her cheek and traces of dried black residue as well.
I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the wall. No, not my baby. I thought. I had left her, once again, to get away and keep her safe from my darkness not even realizing that I had already poisoned her long ago. I thought of what my mother said when I had visited her that day ‘Darkness’ she had said. ‘Your baby is surrounded by darkness.’ I now knew what she meant.
I felt Jas’ little hands touch my eyes and then pull back; her hands were wet and she was looking at them with a confused look on her face. She put her wet hand in her mouth, tasting it, and then made a ‘gross’ face. I touched my own eyes and realized where the wetness had come from, I was crying.
I placed Jasmine down on the ground and broke my other hand as well. With both arms free I scooped her up again and headed into the dark hallway; the two vampires followed us like loyal soldiers. They were under her control. I cuddled Jasmine closer to me as I led her from the prison room. I didn’t know how to save myself, but I did know that I was going to save my daughter.

~Anna’s POV~

Jace was behaving erratically.
He was pacing, kicking rocks into trees -causing them to splinter- and mumbling to himself. Basically he was mess.
I wished I could help him, but right now, the only thing that would make him better would be if he had Cheyenne and Jasmine in his arms, safe. Soon, though not soon enough, a familiar van came down the driveway holding the hunters and their newly adopted weapons.
“Just in time,” I told them. “Jace was about to go crazy.”
Each hunter regarded me with a curious look. They could all see I was different but none of them knew exactly how to act around me. I didn’t give them time to question me.
“We must move now, I have to have time to take the wards down before we go in.”
“What would happen if you didn’t take the wards down?” The auburn hair girl I had learned was called ‘Mia’ asked.
“Then the council would be alerted of our coming, they would send scouts to take us out.”
All of the hunters exchanged a look and then looked back at me.
“Then don’t take the ward down.”
I gave them a curious look. “Why would you want…”
“Because, the more scouts they send, the less they have to guard them.” The one with the long,  platinum hair and dark raccoon eyeliner said.
I agreed with this logic for some reason, maybe it was staying with humans for too long, their reasoning was growing on me.
“If we did that, I would have to save my magic until we were face-to-face with the immortals or else I will not be able to fight them.”
The hunters nodded, “You fall back and we’ll take them out.”
I smiled at the hunters and reached into one of their bags, pulling out a nice looking sword.
“I’ve been trained in the art of hand-to-hand combat hunter; I wont be needing your protecting.”
The dark-hair guy I had informed raised an eyebrow at me and then smiled. He offered me his hand.
“Welcome to the team…”
“Anna.” I filled in, grasping his hand in mine.

____________________________________________

The story cover was made by Rachybab3 :)