The Secret Life ((Part 17))

Mia joined board with us after some convincing and a half-hearted promise from me that we would find this 'Blessed One.'

My mind was whirling on the possibilities that this was far more vast than Jace was telling me. Was it somehow written in time that this was going to happen? Was the fact that this was all destined to happen?

No; impossible.

But the real question was: was I so against this thought because I didn't want to believe this was all fait or because I didn't want to believe that Jace had lied to me...again.

He had told me that everything was merely a coincidence; my father finding him, helping him, getting 'Blessed' or whatever they're calling it these days.

My car was cramped and a bit uncomfortable as we drove through the hot, Arizona desert on our way back to lower California. I felt bad for the boys because they had Bebe sprawled across their lap in the backseat along with some bags I had had them pack in a rush.

Mia had sent a message to Gwyneth, her old coach, leaving her with my address so any known hunters could join us. She felt in her heart that what I spoke of (the growing numbers of vampires and the mutant animals-as she liked to call them) were all a sign of the battle that was sure to come.

I couldn't find any doubt in my mind that she was right, and I just hoped that we weren't too late in getting home.

No, I told myself. Don't think like that, Jace would have called you if something was wrong.

But Jace...I hadn't heard from him since I'd send him and Cara on the trip to clean out the coven in Glacier Springs.

I wondered what he was doing that made it to where he couldn't call me and check in.

No, I told myself again. You told him to leave you alone; you told him to stop calling, he's just respecting your wishes.

I didn't sleep like my fellow passengers did; instead, I drove the entire way home not letting myself relax until I was safely parked in my driveway. Bebe stirred, excited to be home, which woke up the boys. They looked around and then opened the back doors, letting Bebe free.

Mia woke up in the seat next to me. "Okay, this is my home. You can stay here for the night, but I warn you, do not- I repeat, do not discuss anything vampire in front of my mother. She has had her memories erased and I want to keep it that way. She's not home, which is a good sign, so just stay in my room and stay quiet. I'll get you a hotel by morning."

They grumbled their 'okays' and grabbed their bags, lugging them inside. Bebe jumped back in the car, a new spring in her step.

"Next stop; answer lane." I told her, backing out of the driveway and heading towards Jace's apartment.

I don't know why I felt nervous as I walked up the steps to the room Jace lived in, but I felt my palms get sweaty and my pulse quicken.

I hadn't seen him for almost an entire week. I had thought that my trip would make me depend on him less or need him less, but I had been so wrong. My blood called to him as surly as his did to me and that was because we had a bond, and bonds cannot be broken.

When I reached his room, Bebe started pawing at the door. I took a deep breath and then knocked twice; quickly and light, that was if he was not paying attention, I could just leave.

I was about to chicken out and turn around when the door opened.

"Hey Jace-" I began, but it wasn't Jace behind the door, it was Cara.

She was wearing one of Jace's t-shirts and a pair of underwear.

Oh.

"Cheyenne, hey." Cara said, smiling like a fool. She looked so much like the best friend I had once cared about, maybe even loved, but now I could see the vampire in her.