The Secret Moon ((Part 19))

~Jace's POV~

We had been running the last mile and we were getting closer; so close, in fact, that I could hear the mutants and the hell-hounds fighting it out.

We had found a dead mutant body two miles back and after that it was easy to track them; the closer they got to Cheyenne the more riled up they became so the more scent left behind. The dogs, with Bebe in their lead, ran ahead of us and I was itching to join them.

"Go," Dave yelled to me. "We'll be fine. Go get your girl."

I looked back at them and saw them all urging me forward, urging me to leave them behind, and I couldn't not comply. In the blink of an eye I was gone, zipping past the dogs, the mutants, the hell-hounds, and down, into the first cave opening I could find.

It was as I was going down, down, down into a dark tunnel of the cave that I felt her anger overwhelm me. Cheyenne was close, and she was pissed. I know it sounds kind of selfish, but feeling her anger brought joy to me because at least if she was alive enough to go into some crazy blood rage, she was still alive and there was still hope of getting her home.

I moved faster, trying to push past her anger but still hang onto it so it would lead me to her. I got to her in seconds; she was crouched on the ground, black tears dripping down her face, and she was in front of a cocooned body. Three hell-hound men were hacking at their pack members, keeping them away from Cheyenne, and the body of, who I could only imagine to be, Mia.

I rushed into the fight, helping the three hounds under her compulsion to incapacitate the six they were against. In this moment, it wasn't about the kill, it was about getting them down for a long enough time to get the girls, and Cheyenne, out of here.

Once the six were down I was faced with a problem; there was no way I was getting to Cheyenne without going through the other three hounds. They circled around me, unaware that I wasn't a threat to their mistress. I was about to take them out when crazed bays filled the caves and six mutant dogs jumped on the hound-men.

I quickly escaped the situation and moved towards Cheyenne.

"Stay back," She warned me, holding up her hand, which I could see was shaking.

This new, dark power she had acquired might be useful in fight but clearly when she used it on more than one mind at a time, it drained her. I kneeled down in front of her and grabbed both of her hands in one of mine.

"Come on Cheyenne, use the bond, give it to me. Give me all the anger."

I could see her struggling, shaking; the black continued pooling from her eyes, worse than ever before and for a second, just one second, I was afraid that she was too far gone. But then in the bond I felt it, almost like a switch had been flipped, and all her anger came rushing into me. It hit me like a truck and threw me backwards, but unlike Cheyenne's body who was still somewhat human, my body was meant to handle all this anger and rage.

I stood up, feeling the power behind it, and turned to face another wave of hell-hounds that had come into the cave.

~Chey's POV~

Jace was here.

Just the mere thought of it sent joy through my body.

Jace was here and everything was going to be alright; of course I shouldn't have spoken so soon.

I was feeling weak from my recent loss of control but as soon as Jace had taken the anger from me, I could feel it start to come back.

I could hear the fighting going on above us but from the feeling I was getting I knew there were a lot more hell-hounds down here then there were up there. As if they could read my mind, I heard the sound of my hunters coming down the pathway from one of the caves.