The Secret Moon ((Part 10))

I never went to hospitals as a little kid, no my dad was too smart for that. One blood test and they would know something was wrong with me; one look at all my bumps and bruises from training and they would call child protective services; no, as a child I never went to the hospital but I knew I was in one now because I could smell the antiseptic and I could hear the beeping of the monitor next to my bed.  

I opened my eyes and sat up. For some reason my crotch was sore and there was still a little pain where my ribs were cracked. I looked down at the hospital gown I was wearing and actually started giggling. The door to my room opened and a tanned skinned doctor stepped in.  

"That feeling you're experiencing is from the anesthesia. We had to give you almost four times the normal dose so I'm sure you're still feeling it."  

I looked at the doctor skeptically. I must be dreaming. I closed my eyes and then opened them again but he was still there.  

"Um, how did I get here?" I asked him. 

The doctor smiled understandably at me and looked down at his chart.  

"Your friend Jace called me; they found my number in Mia's stuff."  

My body stiffened when he said Jace and Mia.  

"Why would they call you? I can't be here."  

I started yanking at the needles in my skin, trying to get the machines out of me. The doctor ran over and grabbed my hands.  

"He called me because I know what you are. I'm Gwyneth's brother; we raised Mia together. I became a doctor because of Mia, she fascinated me and then when I realized that there were more of you out there I started working under the table, taking only special cases like you. They called me because I can be trusted."  

I looked into the doctor's eye and I knew he was telling the truth. This man was safe. I relaxed in the hospital bed and closed my eyes again.  

"But why am I here? I heal really fast, I don't need a doctor..." I trailed off and looked up at the man again, he had a very sad look on his face.  

"What? What's going on? Oh my god, I'm dying aren't I?" 

He shook his head and came to stand next to my bed.  

"You took a very serious blow to your sternum and stomach today." He explained, putting his chart on the table next to my bed.  

I nodded, "Yea I remember. Internal bleeding right? I've had it once before but it usually heals before anything serious can happen to me..." I trailed off again because he was shaking his head.  

"Cheyenne, you didn't have internal bleeding, you had a miscarriage." 

"Excuse me?" I said when the shock wore off.  

"You were with child and when you took that blow to your stomach your uterus got flattened and the baby died almost instantly. I was able to go inside you and suck out the remains of the fetus and repair your uterus which is why you are probably feeling some soreness down there but I don't think you'll be able to carry a child again until it fully heals which could take time, even with your fast healing."  

I stated giggling again but not from the drugs in my system, this time it was because what the doctor was saying was absolutely ludicrous.  

"I'm sorry doc, but if you claim to be an expert on me and mine then you would know that we are sterile. We can't reproduce." 

"Have you been sexually active in the last month and half?" He asked.  

My jaw fell slack, "That's not the point. I can't carry a child, I've been having sex for two years and haven't gotten pregnant and anyways the guy I was with it a...he can't have kids either."