The Secret Life ((Part 18))

I'd like to say that I had been wrong.

I'd like to say that things got back to normal after that, I mean whatever the hell normal is right?

But they didn't.

I found my comrades a hotel not too far away, and with the help of Jace's amazing gold card, got them each their own room too.

I felt like I needed to give Mia something; I mean I had talked the girl into coming on this trip in the first place because I'd promised we'd find the 'Blessed One', so it felt wrong, in a way, keeping from her that I'd known who it was all along.

I decided to tell her that night on patrols.

"So uh- Mia, I've got to talk to you about something." I said, my voice kind of tense because Cara had decided to tag along tonight.

I mean okay, Jace had totally been working with her and more power to her living on a diet of refrigeratorated blood, but she still gave me this weird feeling that I got from every vampire.

I tried to look at her as my best friend, the person that I had known for so long, but I couldn't help but notice the larger changes in her.

For example; she walked next to me, but I couldn't hear her footsteps, she wasn't breathing like Mia, who was on my other side, instead she was...sniffing the air, she wasn't clumsy like she once was, now her limbs held delicacy and grace.

"Shoot." Mia said, I'd almost forgotten that I had said something to her.

"Oh, okay. Well, remember how I told you I'd help you find the...uh- Blessed One, or whatever you called him?"

Mia nodded, peering into the night. I knew what her eyes were picking up; a large male raccoon gathering food for his new family, a pair of foxes digging at a mole hole further out than the raccoon, a very large owl swooping down and catching a mouse.

I knew because I could see that all too, our vamped up vision gave us that advantage, but the advantage was sometimes a pain when every little motion caught your attention and you weren't sure what could be a vampire and what an animal.

You had to be trained to tell the difference.

"Okay well, I wasn't entirely forward with you about how much I know about him."

Cara looked at me curiously and I tried to ignore her.

"Explain." Mia said, still not focusing her attention on me.

"Well, I knew a bit about this...Blessed One, prior to you telling me about him. I just didn't know him as the Blessed One."

"Oh," She said. "Well then what did you know him by?"

I blew a breath out of my mouth and said to myself 'its now or never.'

"I know him as Jace." I admitted.

Mia stopped walking, tripping over her own feet, and then turned to face me. Her eyes were huge and I noticed for the first time that she had the most peculiar eyes, not including Jace's. They were green with blue specks through out them and then right around the iris' there was a defined outline of grey.

"Jace?" She asked, after the shock wore off. "Jace is the blessed one?"

I nodded, "Jace-Jace is a vampire Mia. I realize that you only met him once when he came to give me his card, but honestly, you couldn't tell?"

Mia shook her head. "I-well he was outside...in the sun, I just-I didn't think about it."

"Doesn't the legend say that the warrior would be able to walk in the light?" I asked her, hoping she would be convinced and not try and find a stake and kill him.