The Secret Life ((Part 12))

We took Jace's car because I was too nervous to drive.

Somewhere between the time that it took for us to get outside and get going, my tremors had returned and they weren't giving me a break.

I buried my hands in my lap trying to subside them but that just made them go into my arms.

"Are you cold?" Jace asked slipping off his jacket and wrapping it around me.

I breathed in his scent, that particular cologne that was on his other shirt mixed with his natural scent engulfed me and my tremors almost fully subsided.

"Thanks," I said. And then because I'd suddenly gotten diarrhea of the mouth, said, "You and my dad wear the same cologne. Or well, he did."

Jace chuckled and turned onto the main road.

"Your dad didn't wear cologne Cheyenne. Think harder on that memory and I think you might be surprised at what you find."

He didn't elaborate on it any more.

"So how are you so sure we're going in remotely the right direction?"

Jace was maneuvering the car through a very complicated neighborhood and I was sure he was just making this up as he went along.

"Because Logan is one of those 'classier' vampires you so much like to steal from. I got word that he lives in one of these pristine houses and I'm using my awesome vampire senses to lead me to which one." He said, sending me a cocky smile.

I rolled my eyes and looked around at all the mansion sized manor homes.

If a vampire lived in one of these than I was going to be very angry because these homes were just stunning. Jace drove around for five more minutes until pulling into the driveway of the last house on the farthest block from the highway.

He turned to face me. "I don't suppose I could talk you into staying in the car?" He asked.

"Really?" I shot back. "You let me lead the way into a vamp infested nest but to go face to face with one vampire and you want me to stay in the car?"

"Your heart isn't involved with the nest of vampires. You can get in and get out and not have to worry about anything else, but you're heart is too invested in this. I just want to make sure that you're going to be safe if I bring you in there."

I grabbed a stake from my duffel bag and shoved it into the hem of my pants, opening the car door.

"Thanks for the concern, but no thanks. You're right, my heart is in this one, and that's what's going to get Cara out of there alive."

Without Jace's jacket around me, all of my previous anxieties came back and I had to remind myself that it was daylight and no vampire (besides Jace) was at their full potential now. We'd go in, probably stake Logan in his sleep, which hardly seemed fair, and then we'd grab Cara and get out.

It was funny how easily I had adjusted to considering Jace and I 'we' as in 'we're doing the mission' or 'we'll get Cara out.'

Jace led the way up the driveway and to the front door.

It was unlocked.

Who leaves their million dollar home unlocked?

Well I guess a vampire would, a vampire with nothing to loose, as in stole the house from a wealthy human. That would make a lot more sense to me.

"Check the bottom floor, I'll scope the top." Jace ordered.

I nodded and we split up.

My hand was shaking with anticipation so when the relatively sluggish vampire sprang out at me, I swiftly dug my stake into its heart and twisted. I could hear the sizzle where the Iron made contact with his skin and I knew that he would be dead now.