The Secret Life ((Part 21))

Bebe and I stayed at Mia's house, waiting for the first hunter to get here.

It took nearly two hours before we heard the knock on her door.

"Come in." Mia called.

Bebe's head lifted and she watched, making sure nothing bad or scary came through the door. It wasn't anything scary though, only the boys and a small, lanky girl.

She had very long blond hair, almost platinum-like Jace's, only she had dark roots-and she wore way too much eyeliner. She was super tall and skinny and at first glance I would not peg her as a hunter.

"Cheyenne." The boys said in unison when they saw me.

I stood up and smiled. "Hey."

"So, Mia, Cheyenne, this is Paige; she's our newest hunter."

Paige looked over at us and half waved.

"You're a hunter?" Mia blurted, and I smiled inwardly.

That had been exactly what I was thinking. Paige smiled and threw her bag to the ground.

"Yea, I know I don't look like much but I've probably killed more vampires than all of you."

This made me laugh-I guess out loud because everybody looked at me.

"Where were you living, Paige?" I asked.

"Chicago." She replied, giving me a spectacle eye.

"Well let me assure you; there are a lot more vampires in this cozy California town then there are in Chicago. Actually, that was why I didn't even check there for hunters...how many have you killed exactly?"

Paige shifted uncomfortably and I realized she was wearing heels. Heels!

"Five or six."

Okay, so she had killed more than the other hunters, maybe, but certainly not me.

"Well then, I wont have to train you so hard. Are vampire attacks common in Chicago?"

Paige shrugged and scratched at her arm. I noticed then something I wouldn't have noticed it I didn't really look.

Paige had very faint scars on her neck-what was exposed of it-and her arms. Vampire bites?

"I'm going to stay here until the other hunters get here and then we have to start training. Mia brought something to my attention, you guys have no idea what you're doing and if there's a war coming, we need to be prepared."

I looked over at Paige then.

"Maybe you can help me train them, Ms. Expert."

Paige shrugged. "Whatever. Can I have my room now?"

I nodded and looked down at Bebe.

"You wait here, I'll be right back."

I led Paige to the front desk and ordered her a room with Jace's card.

"I'll come and get you when the other hunters get here, you should get some rest."

Paige smiled, or what could be considered a smile, and then headed up to the room that I had just bought for her.

The next bus came at 11:45 with three hunters, just as promised. One girl and two boys. Their names were Parker-longish brown hair that comes down to his eyebrows and blue eyes, possibly 5'8; Liam-6'3 with thick brown hair, bluish/green eyes, broad build; and Jane-blond hair, blue eyes and that movie star smile, she seemed more nervous than the other two.