The Secret Life ((Part 6))

Darkness and pain. It was the pain that kept me in the realm of consciousness because surly if I could still feel pain than I couldn't be dead, right? I clung onto the pain, letting it slowly drag me back to reality, emphases on the slowly part.

"Come on Cheyenne, swallow. You can do it."

That voice, it was familiar, but who?

"There you go, swallow some more."

A warm, tingling sensation filled my body and within seconds the pain was gone.

No! Where did it go? I needed the pain.

I felt myself slipping back into darkness and then...nothing.

My eyes shot open and I had to blink a couple dozen times before anything would register. My hands flew to my bare stomach but I couldn't find a wound.

"Good, you're awake."

I looked towards the sound of the voice and found the platinum blond vampire whose face had dragged me back from the darkness.

"What the hell..." I said, voice trailing off. I sat up, feeling a little slushy.

"Julie was here, with her group of followers, two of which I see you took out." He nodded pointedly at the two piles of ash near us, he had burned the bodies.

This triggered the last twenty minutes of memories: being hauled out of a bar, the fight, getting sliced open. I looked down at my stomach and saw the blood, but no wound.

"How did I heal so fast? I mean, I know I have extra regenerative skin, but not from something like that..." I trailed off again because Jace was watching me intently.

"What?" I asked, my skin suddenly feeling like it was crawling.

"Do you feel any differently?" He asked.

Now that he mentioned it I realized I could see everything, and there were no lights in the alley; I could hear the cars and people talking on their cell phones from a few blocks away; I could smell the stench of my blood and the slightly sweet one of burnt vampire. I looked over at Jace and studied his face.

"What did you do to me?"

He smiled and stood up, offering me his hand. I declined, and stood up on my own.

"I wasn't going to let you die. You might have sworn me off, but I made a promise I intend to keep. I did what I had to do."

I was going to respond to him, but screams had erupted from around the corner. I took off before Jace could even process the situation, I could feel his presence behind me, which was something I had not been able to do before.

I ran faster than ever, towards the screams and found the blond vampire with her last living minion, wreaking havoc on innocent street people. Two were laying dead on the sidewalk, their necks obviously snapped, and another was clutching her neck, blood on her hands.

"Jace, erase their memories. I'm going to catch up to Thing One and Thing Two."

I didn't wait to see if he would comply with me, instead I took off once again. My eyes could track them easily, despite the vampire speed they were moving at, and pretty soon they turned off into an alley. I followed getting a strong case of déjà vu.

The blond vampire was in front of the farthest wall, and she was alone.

"Pleasant seeing you again." I sneered, spitting on the ground. "I didn't think I would be able to thank-you for slicing me open." I rubbed my bare stomach on the spot that she had sliced me.