Dad's Dream

Deanna POV-

Me, Livy and Mason were all cuddled up in Shep's bed as I read Livy a bedtime story. It had been over three days since we heard anything in terms
Of whether he would get released or not.

The good thing was that TD was in stable condition and was no longer in a medically induced coma.

The bad news, the NFL and Giants organization were trying to decide whether to suspend Shep or permanently let him go from the team.

I saw Mason perk up, then begin barking. He ran downstairs.

I grabbed Livy and followed Mason's lead.

"Baby." I squealed with excitement practically running into his arms.

"Hold on yall." He chuckled at how excited me, Livy and Mason were to see him.

A woman I never seen before gave me the biggest side I ever seen.

"Go get the number please." She told Shep as she looked me up and down and brushed passed us.

" She told Shep as she looked me up and down and brushed passed us

"Let me go get this number y'all." Shep told us and disappeared upstairs.

The woman sat at the counter on her phone. I'm presuming it was Shep's sister, but she acted like we weren't there.

"I'm Deanna." I reached out to shake her hand. If she wasn't going to introduce herself, I would.

"The reason my brother is in this mess. I know. I know your kind. Take pleasure in ruining others lives."
She shooed me away, like a fly not looking up from her phone.

"Here." Shep handed her a number.

"And tell her to stay away from me." She eyed Shep as she snatched the paper and disappeared out the front door.

"Ignore her." Shep said, grabbing Livy from me.

"She thinks its my fault doesn't she?"

"It doesn't matter what she thinks." He kissed Livy's cheek and opened the fridge.

"It does Shep. That's your sister."

"And? She stays mad at everybody. Who cares? Do I think its your fault. No, thats all that matters."

I heard the door open. "The Giants front office wants to meet with you tomorrow. Bubba, I swear." She shook her head highly irritated. "Just Ahhh." She screamed.

It startled Livy and she began to cry.

Shep tried to calm her. "Toya would you chill. It's gonna be cool."

"Cool? You bust somebody in the head who almost died, they want you for attempted murder. Attempted murder." She yelled. "And shit is cool?" She yelled even louder.

"My fucking daddy died Bubba. He died, putting his life and health on the line so you could live this dream
And you just go throw it away. Throw it the fuck away. For what? Her?" She pointed to me.

"They kick you out the league what are you gonna do Shep? All you know is football? All my daddy..." she started to cry.

"Put into you is football. And it may not mean anything to you, but it meant everything to him. Dad's dream isn't just about you Shep, its for all of us."

She shook her head profusely, holding her hands up, then wiped her tearing eyes. "I can't."

I saw Shep quickly, wipe tears from his eyes.

"You want some ice-cream my Livy." He said opening the freezer and getting out the ice-cream.

He got a spoon, set on the stool with Livy and they ate ice-cream.

"Yo girl you can't be eating my fingers too." Shep laughed at Livy trying to get every bit of ice-cream.

"I'm sorry baby." Was all could manage to say before I broke down. "This was all a mistake. I should've just left you alone."

Shep got up and pulled me into his chest. "Stop blaming yourself. We gon be good. I promise." He smiled.

He broke out into a song. "Its gon be alright. It's gon be okay. Young Shep gon keep grinding like each and everyday. Stay on his griiiinndd."

I wiped my eyes and chuckled at how awful he sounded. But I was assured he would be okay.

Shep POV-

"I think I speak for my client, when I say, he has done nothing but produce since he has been apart of the Giants organization. Surely, that must account for something." My sister said.

It was us in a room full of the Giants front office staff. They were all white except one, and our owner spoke to my sister.

"I agree Ms. Shepard, he has. But talent does not outweigh discipline and self control. Mr. Shepard must be held accountable for his actions."

"I'm not saying he shouldn't. He should, but don't we think, getting kicked off a team is a little far. Especially, when he was provoked. This TD character choked his girlfriend."

"Ms. Shepard that is what he says. No one saw that but Mr. Shepard and his girlfriend."

"I see. You won't  believe us in this situation just as you didn't believe Josh Brown's wife was beating her to a pulp. You do remember that? But I forgot women aren't respected in the NFL, even when there's tape like Ray Rice. It takes pressure from the public."

"Those incidents have nothing to do with Mr. Shepard."

"They have everything to do with him. You kick him off a team for defending his girlfriend when she was attacked, yet keep a known domestic abuser on your team when teammates saw him
Beat his wife at last year's pro-bowl. I am utterly disgusted at the NFL and its treatment toward women."

"You have no proof Mr. Shepard's girlfriend was attacked. No witnesses. All we know for sure is that Mr. Shepard viciously attacked his fellow teammate Terrance Downing and because of that he may never be able to play again. The Giants organization has made a decision." He looked at everybody, they all nodded in agreement.

"Mr. Shepard we thank you for your contribution to this team, but your contract is terminated and you will no longer be allowed to suit up in a Giants uniform. Please empt your locker and turn in your key."

Then the men, who I had given the last two years of my life to, got up and left me and my sister sitting there.