Do You Believe

Deanna POV-

"Sorry I went off on you the other day." I sat at the table in front of Dr. J who was eating his daily dose of nasty.

"I didn't think much  of it." He ate his nasty, which I'm sure was healthy concoction in a bowl.

"I just was caught off guard. I wasn't expecting that news you know."

"I understand Deanna. You don't have to explain."

"You're disappointed huh? You were so invested in me doing well." I played with my hands and looked at him nervously.

"And why can't you still do well?" He didn't look at me he just kept eating.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I said sadly.

"I'm still expecting you to do well. That hasn't changed."

There was silence. I watched him eat.

"I think I decided what I wanted to do."

"With?" He raised his brow.

"My career."

"Hm. What were you thinking?" He looked at me interested.

"I finally decided to read the book you suggested last night. And I was thinking about all this and my baby. And about some things Odell told me about his mom. She had him at 19. And I thought about you..."

"Me?" He said confused.

"Not like that. But you know as an inspiration. How no matter the problem, you always have an answer. You're so wise and such a man of faith. And I'm not a man, but I want to be that type of woman for my baby."

"A lot of hardship birth this Anna."

"I'm sure. But this is mine. And I asked what could I do where my baby would be proud of me. And Thats when you popped in my head. I think I want to be a doctor." I smiled.

"Let my baby know if I can be a doctor after having you at 19, then you better be the president." I wiped my tearing eyes as I let out a slight chuckle.

"Would you help me? Would you be my mentor?"

He looked at me for a second, then put his fork down.

"You can't be a doctor." He rested his chin on his hands looking at me.

"Why not?" I said caught off guard. I thought of all people he would be supportive.

"What teenage mother do you know became a doctor?"

"I'm sure there are women out there."

"You know any personally?"

"No, but if not I can be the first."

"Why not just be a nurse or med assistant? Shorter school time. They got programs that'll work with you and your child."

"No, I decided want to be a doctor. Not a nurse or med assistant. I'm just as smart as Kenya or my brother Trevante who works for NASA. I can be a doctor if I want to."