Put His Soul Back

Deanna POV-

I woke up out of my sleep to hear banging on the door. It had been three days since I heard from August.

The banging grew louder. I hurriedly got out of bed and got the door.

"August." He dropped at my feet. Blood spilling from his head and mouth.

He was grabbing his stomach and grasping for air. I yelled for help.

A guy who lived across the hall came out his apartment and immediately called 911.

He then helped me carry August inside and lay him on the couch.

Tears spilled from my eyes as I saw how badly they had beaten his face. His face was so swollen, it was unrecognizable.

"Baby the ambulance will be here soon." I held him, using my night shirt to catch the blood he was spitting up.

The paramedics rushed in and got him.

"You need me to take you to the hospital?" My neighbor asked.

"No I'm fine. Thank you." I told him as they took Aug away.

"If you need anything let me know."

"I will." I said hurrying closing the door, and changing clothes to go to the hospital.

"Those sons of bitches." Diego, Aug's partner hit the air in frustration.

We were outside of Aug's room.

He was asleep and stable now and had to get stitches to his forehead and lip.

"Its that fucking Teke. He keeps putting shit in his brother's ear. He knows something is up." Diego said angry.

"So they beat August because he wouldn't shoot the boy?" I asked.

"Yes. The boy stole some money from Sneak. He gave half the money from his sale of heroin to Sneak, and pocketed the other half. He said, He got robbed. Sneak found the money in his shoe. And was gonna shoot him. But Teke whispered to Sneak have Aug do it. Aug said he would give him the money from
His share. Teke said naw, if you loyal to the brotherhood you do it. Aug wouldn't. So Teke took Aug's gun and beat him in the face with it. He has this weird control over his brother. Teke really runs the gang. Sneak is just the face to pretend he runs it."

"I want August out Diego." I told him.

"We can't do that. Deanna. We leave cold turkey, thats definitely grounds for them to kill us. They'll get suspicious. We have to stay under until we get enough evidence to convict them."

"Don't you have all that?"

"No not yet. Not enough to hold up in the court of law."

"His life is on the line Diego. His life." I yelled.

"I know. All of our lives are."

"You are not in a hospital bed."

"But I do have this." He lifted his shirt to show me a bullet wound in his stomach. "From my last mission. It's the nature of the beast."

"You and your beast can go elsewhere. Tell your Sergeant to take August out." I left him standing there and went into Aug's hospital room.

He was asleep. But I kissed his forehead and he woke up.

I sat on the edge of the bed. The swelling from his face had went down significantly. But his face was badly bruised.

"How you feel Thin Mint?" I looked at him, trying not to cry.