Regret

Shep POV-

"Ray open the door." I had spent the last hour apologizing and begging to speak to Ray.

"Get the fuck away." She kicked the door.

"Ray, I am sorry. I sincerely am...its just..." I slid down the door sitting with my back against the wall.

"Its no excuse for what I said. I love you Ray. And truth be told I miss you. Ok. Damn. I miss you. Yeah we fight alot, but you have always have my back. Always. You always had the attitude I can beat my brother up, but nobody else better not touch him.

I remember the first football game of mine you came to, when I was in Pop-Warner. You had to be four. And you saw me get tackled for the first time and you ran on the field And started hitting the dude that tackled me, like don't hit my big bro idiot." I chuckled.

"Mommy ran faster than she ever did, picking you up and taking you off the field." I smiled remembering that day. "I never forgot that Ray. You my little sister but you've always been my protector, and bestfriend, even when I didn't deserve you to be. And I failed you. I failed Anna. I failed the baby." I brokedown.

"I shouldve not let that man scare me. I shouldve fought for my family but I didn't. And I have to live with being a coward everyday. Everyday."

I could get no more words out, so I just put my face in my hands and cried.

The door slowly opened. Ray bent down and hugged me.

"He had a gun. Its not your fault."

"It is Ray. I should've stood up to him. Let him kill me if necessary, but I'm a coward." I broke down.

"You are, but not because of this."

I stopped crying and eyed her. She smirked.

I rolled my eyes and wiped them. She stood up and helped me up.

"I am still going to beat your ass. But just when you least expect it." She told me before walking into her condo.

I followed her in, closing the door behind me.

"I need a new assistant."

"And you're telling me because what?" She plopped on the couch eating popcorn.

"I want you to be my assistant. I need you Ray. To get my life back in order. With you and Unc there, it'll be impossible for me to lose."

"Hell no."

I handed her the contract with the details. Salary, stuff like that.

"These zeros correct?" She asked looking at the paper.

"Yeah." I laughed.

"Well bitch, lets me get to writing this letter of resignation for my current job because, Nashville here I come."

I laughed. Things were really looking up.

Deanna POV-

"There goes my doctor." Aug said as he greeted me with a smile after the graduation ceremony.

We hugged and kissed.

"Can you take a picture of us?" Aug asked a random man.

"Sure."

He took a picture of us, in my cap and gown.

"Thank you." Aug told the man as he handed us back our phone.

I saw someone by the door, catch my eye. Unfortunately, they caught mine too.

"Come on." I grabbed Aug's hand.