Dinner with the President

It was night, and the humans are now at Grillby's with President Cranky. Ren was right. The president did sound like a welcoming person. He spoke in a kind manner, and he let the humans into the restaurant first. Before they went, two of the president's guards showed up at their door and escorted them to their limousine, which brought them to the president's location. Jonas was relieved that there was no large crowd wanting pictures with them or autographs. Also, they hope that tonight will be better than last night. No disasters is what the humans anticipated.

"So, what's the big deal with them?" Alex watched the owner of the restaurant, a flame with a human figure, glare at a spider lady who was standing outside of a bakery, who was glaring back at him.

"Oh, Mr. Grillby and Ms. Muffet have the best businesses in Strange Island." Says President Cranky, who saw what Alex is looking at. "They fight for customers everyday."

"Huh."

"So, how's the food?" President Cranky wore a warm grin.

"Wow. This is good stuff." Jonas exclaimed. "Ren. You weren't lying. How did you even know?"

"Let's just say that some skeleton came up to me and told me a lot about this place." Ren replied. "He said that this place also serves the best ketchup. I didn't know why he said that, but what the heck?"

"Wait. Really?" Clarissa grabbed a ketchup bottle and squeezed ketchup all over her fries. As she picked one of her fries and took a bite, her eyes widen.

"Uh, Clarissa?" Alex raised an eyebrow.

"Whoever this skeleton is, tell him that he wasn't kidding."

"It appears that all of you are having a great time." President Cranky said. "Just like your friend over there."

The humans turned to Nona, who was on stage singing. Tonight was karaoke night for Grillby's and Nona wanted to join the fun. As Nona sang the final part of the chorus, some clapped and cheered while others sang along.

"Um, is it normal for you guys to sing along while someone is performing?" Alex asked.

"Technically, yes." President Cranky answered. "Us Strange Ones share interests. Music is one of them. That is why we have an annual singing competition."

"A singing competition?" Clarissa raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. It all started way back when all groups made peace with each other. They discovered that music is also one thing that they like. So, they set up a singing competition with a limit of ten contestants. Many have won the competition from one year to the other. It has been our cherished event ever since."

"We can see that." Alex said. "This singing competition. You have it yearly, right?"

President Cranky nodded his head. "Every single year."

Everyone at the table turned and saw Nona walking back to the table. She was already finished with karaoke.

"Well, what did you guys think?" Nona sat down on her chair and took a sip of her milkshake.

"You were amazing." Ren said. "Absolutely terrific."

"Nona, you were great up there." Alex smiled.

"Oh. I thought I did a terrible job." Nona tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Why would you think you were terrible?" Clarissa replied. "You were awesome."

"So, Mr. President," Jonas scratched the back of his head. "We heard you were going to ask us some questions."

"Oh. Right." President Cranky cleared his throat. "I only have a few questions. One of them. Why did you youngsters decide to come to Strange Island?"

"Oh. It was all my idea." Ren explained. "One day, I was just searching for a perfect way to start our summer until I looked up exotic islands. And what I got was here. Man, I was impressed. Strange Stadium, the singing competition, the yearly carnivals, everything. Also, every middle school and high school here has tournaments like every year. That's why I chose here for a perfect vacation for us."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Ren was the one who planned all of this." Alex said. "But, don't worry. Our parents already approved of it."

"And, how is your vacation so far?" President Cranky raised an eyebrow.

"Well, it was a little weird at first." Jonas said. "But after everything we did yesterday, it was pretty great. Until that one disaster near city hall completely ruined it."

"Speaking of," President Cranky turned to Alex. "Tell me, young lady. Why did you get up there and save the founder from those falling pieces of metal?"

"I had to react somehow." Alex said. "I don't look like someone who is just too afraid to save someone because of what will happen to you afterwards. It hurts if you only think about it, you know."

"How did you know that was going to happen?" President Cranky asked.

"I didn't. I just watched that boy jump into that crane and looked up. I mean, I knew what was going to happen next. I just had to blurt it out."

"I see." President Cranky scratched his chin.

"I had to do something, okay?" Alex placed her hands on her face.

"I believe you. It's just...something isn't right..."

"What do you mean by-" Nona was cut off when something shot her milkshake and tipped it off the table. 

Everyone in the restaurant noticed, including the owner who raised an eyebrow. President Cranky looked outside, only seeing a two shadows on top of a building battling each other.

"Everyone, take cover!" President Cranky shouted. "And, that means you too, Mr. Grillby!"

Everyone went under the tables and hid. President Cranky joined the humans who were under the table as well.

"What's going on up there?" Alex whispered with a fearful expression on her face.

"I don't know, but you youngsters need to get out of here." President Cranky whispered back.

"What about you?" Ren asked. "We just met you tonight."

"Don't worry about me. My guards know when to fight. Also, Mr. Grillby will guide you out of here."

"How?" Nona asked.

"Go to his work space. Over there is an emergency exit."

"Alright. Let's go, guys." Alex and the others crawled out from under the table. "Oh. And, thanks for dinner."

"Anytime, young lady."

The humans started crawling up to the owner's work space. As they reached it and entered, the owner noticed them.

"Um, you're Grillby, right?" Alex asked, getting a nod from him. "Listen, we heard that there was an emergency exit here. Do you know where it is?"

Grillby pointed to a small circular rug.  Alex crawled up to the rug as she removed it. Under it was a door, and the key was hanging next to a hanging apron. She reached for the key and unlocked the door. She opened the door, which had a ladder going down.

"Alright. Who wants to go first?"

Clarissa walked up to the exit and went down. Then, Jonas followed along with Ren and Nona. Alex went last, but before she closed the door.

"Hey, Grillby." Alex got Grillby's attention. "Thanks."

After getting another nod from Grillby, Alex closed the door and went down the ladder. As she reach the ground, she turned her phone's flashlight on and shined it in front of her and the others.

"Guys. I think we're in the sewer." Jonas said.

"I guess this is how Grillby always escapes an attack." Alex replied. "But, let's just hope that wherever this sewer is leading us, it will be safe."

"Agreed." The others said as they started walking.