4. No Excuses

He hurriedly handed me the tray. Our hands touched for a mere second and I felt warm where his soft skin touched. He quickly pulled his hand back, his gaze indifferent, almost glaring at me.

Wow. Does he smile too? Or is he only capable of glaring? I thought.

"That'd be seven thousand won."

"Oh. Okay. I'll just..uh..be right back."

After I placed the tray on our table, I sat across from Layla.

"Didn't you pay for coffee?"

Her eyes widened.

"Oh. You didn't. Right?"

Her expression was guilty.

"Layla! It was your treat, and I didn't even bring my wallet."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I forgot."

"What are we gonna do now?"

I had almost forgotten that he was still standing next to our table, his arms crossed across his chest, foot tapping the floor, his eyes inquisitive. I looked at him sheepishly.

"Pay up."

"Uh, about that..."

"I won't listen to excuses."

I was nervous. And when I was nervous, verbal diarrhoea was bound to happen.

"I'm sorry. We are sorry. My friend here had to pay for both of us but she forgot, and I was in hurry, mom was getting impatient, so I forgot my wallet. I don't know why I had to forget it today. I am so sorry. We'll pay you today. We just have to go back home, pick up money and come back. I promise we'll..."

"Shut up."

I immediately shut my mouth, my eyes widened. He did not just tell me to shut up. Didn't he care about the customer service? What if someone complained about his behaviour to his boss?

"I'll pay for you. But you have to pay me back tomorrow. Got it?"

I got up from the seat and hugged him.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

It wasn't until a few second later, when he coughed, that I came to my senses. His arms were limp at his side, and I was squeezing the life out of him. I let go of him immediately. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks. I mentally reprimanded myself for always letting my emotions take over my body, making me do things I regretted immediately.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Whatever. Remember you have to pay me tomorrow."

And with that he was gone.

What did I just do?