29

I quietly tiptoed upstairs to my room. My mother was either sleeping or was out for a drink with her friends.

Locking the door behind me, I slipped out of my shoes and jumped into my bed.

Now that the school was over, I could have some relaxing time for myself. But I was wrong. As soon as I closed my eyes, someone knocked at my door.

Dad? But he must be at office.

"Yes?"

"Amber sweetheart. Are you awake?"

Sweetheart? Oh my God. What's up with her? What does she want?

"Yes."

I was hesitant to open the door. But I did it anyways. Peeking through the half opened door, I looked at my mother's made up face and a sickly sweet smile on it.

"Can you do me a favour? My friends are coming for dinner. Can you please go and buy me some stuff from the supermarket? I can't go."

Before I could say anything, she thrust a paper in my hand.

"This is the list of stuff you need to buy and here's the money."

I sighed.

I didn't have any other option. I couldn't exactly say no to her. She'd get mad and I was in no mood for a beating. The bruises that her beatings had left before still had to heal and fade away.

"Okay."

I put on my shoes and picked up my phone, heading downstairs.

As I was going out of the door, she said something that I already expected.

"Oh. And you should stay at Layla's house today."

I shook my head as I exited the house.

Of course, mother.