21. Soul Sister

Why is Jimin acting like this?

After getting my coffee, I settled on the seat next to the window. I called Layla.

"Hello."

"Amber. Hey. Are you at the cafe?"

"Yes. I'm waiting for you. Do you want me to order for you?"

"No. I'll come and see if I'm in mood for coffee. Be there in five."

"Okay."

Within five minutes, my best friend was sitting opposite to me. She had ordered a sandwich.

"How long have you been waiting?"

"Not long. Where were you?"

"I was at th-... Wait. What's that?"

She grabbed my hand and rolled the sleeves up to reveal a bruised wrist. I pulled back my hand, covering my wrists.

"Nothing."

"Doesn't seem like nothing to me, Amber. What happened?"

And that's when the waterworks started. She was immediately by my side, patting my back.

"My...my mom..."

I told her everything. It had been so long since I was hiding this from her. I didn't want her to worry. She comforted me. She was like a sister to me. A sister I never had.

A few tears still escaped my eyes when Jimin halted in front of our table with Layla's sandwich. He looked at me with a quizzical expression. I hurriedly wiped away the tears.

"Here. Let me take this from you."

Layla took the tray from him, thanking him in return. But he payed no attention to her. His eyes were fixed on me. And I was doing everything to avoid looking at him, but couldn't help glancing once or twice.

He opened his mouth to say something but then decided against it, and turned around, walking towards the counter.

I didn't want him to see me cry.