Jealousy

Words: 1584
Jughead X Reader
A/N: I'm going to write a part 2 to this if anyone is interested. I almost made this a lot longer than it is too, oops 😅

"Jesus Jughead just admit you're in love with her already!" Archie laughed at his raven haired friend across from him. Jughead chewed his french fries and glared at Archie. Sure,  Oh Jughead had feelings for Y/N, but he'd never admit it. He was always known for being quiet and self reserved, and for as long as his friends have known him, which was practically his whole life, they've never once seen him crush on someone. That was until Y/N came into the picture. She hadn't been in town long, only a few months, but that's all the time Jughead needed to become her best friend, and ultimately fall head over heels for her. He had become so close to her in fact, that she knew him better than anyone else. That scared him, and what scared him even more was how quickly and hard he had fallen for her. He didn't want to mess up this friendship and push her away. He'd rather just stay quiet and suffer, and that's what he did. Until his friends caught on that is.
"I'm not in love with her." Jughead said plainly, and Archie's head fell to the table and he sighed.
"What's wrong with him?" Betty asked, sitting beside Archie in the booth.
"He won't admit his love for Y/N!" Archie cried out, sitting up. Jughead leaned over the table and put his hand over Archie's mouth.
"Could you keep it down? It's bad enough I have you two, Veronica, and Kevin bugging me about my apparent feelings. I don't need the rest of the town to join the bandwagon."
"Too late," Betty said, stealing a few fries from Jugheads plate, which earned her a death glare. "Wow, sorry." She said, throwing her hands up in surrender and laughing.
"What do you mean 'too late?'" Jughead asked, trying not to let the worry show in his voice.
"Everyone and their moms know how smitten you are for her. Try as you might Jughead, but you're not very good at hiding your feelings for her." Betty shrugged. "Not that you need to, everyone can also tell how smitten she is for you."
"I'm still surprised someone as observant and smart as you hasn't figured it out." Archie chimed in.
Just then, Y/N slid into the seat next to Jughead.
"What has our Jughead Jones not figured out yet?" she asked, looking around the table. Archie and Betty looked at eachother, and then at Jughead, who looked as if he were about to die of anticipation. Sitting there, he quickly thought of a lie before Archie and Betty said anything.
"My novel..." he quickly stammered. Y/N turned to him, and a look of curiosity came over her face.
"What can't you figure out about your novel?"
"Well he wants to do some background on Jason, maybe for the beginning of the novel." Archie started, and Jughead gave a sigh of relief. He made a mental note to thank Archie later for the save. "Anyways, everyone in the town knows that Jason was in love with Polly, but Jughead here thought it would be nice to write a bit on their love. Maybe about how they fell in love, and when they finally told eachother they loved one another, not letting their families, or even their own conflicting feelings stop them." Scratch that mental note, definitely not going to thank Archie anymore.
"That's an amazing idea!" Y/N beamed, smiling over at Jughead. Jughead just nodded his head and turned his attention to the burger in front of him. Y/N reached over to Jugheads plate and stole a few fries, and he looked over at her. Instead of giving her the death glare everyone was expecting, he just rolled his eyes and smiled.
"I hate you sometimes." He joked, and Y/N laughed and leaned her head on his shoulder.
"You know you love me." she teased, and Jughead tensed up. Archie and Betty laughed, and watched as Jugheads face turned bright red. "Even when I steal your food."
"You're the only one he actually lets take food off his plate, so he must love you quite a lot." Archie said. Jughead kicked Archie's leg under the table, and Archie gave a strained smile, trying to hide his pain.
     "You okay Archie?" Y/N asked, looking over to her friend. Archie gave a breathy laugh.
     "I just got a leg cramp, I probably just worked too hard at practice. It felt like someone kicked me in the shin." Y/N nodded her head.
     "Maybe you should be more careful then." Jughead said, smirking at Archie.
     "Anyways, so are you going to tell me what happened at lunch today?" Betty asked Y/N, referring to an earlier conversation. Archie listened in, but Jughead was too deep in thought to notice a conversation was taking place.
     "Well, I got asked out on a date." Y/N said, and Archie and Betty's jaws dropped.
     "Who asked you out?" Betty asked.
     "Reggie. I've barely talked to the guy except for in math yesterday and apparently he liked me so much he wants to go out."
     "Well are you going to go out with him?" Archie asked.
     "Um, well I don't know." Y/N gave a nervous laugh and glanced over to Jughead. Archie and Betty caught on to the glance and stared at Y/N. She looked at her two friends and saw their suspicious looks and turned her attention to the table. Betty cleared her throat and Jughead turned to her.
     "So Jughead, do you have any thoughts on this whole situation?" Betty asked. Jughead gave her a confused look, and looked around the table.
     "What situation?" he asked.
     "Y/N got asked out by Reggie today." Betty said, sipping on her milkshake. Archie and her watched Jugheads face for a reaction, which he gave. Jugheads gaze quickly turned to Y/N and a mix of jealousy and sadness flashed over his face for a quick second, but was soon replaced with interest.
     "Well, did you say yes?" Jughead asked. Y/N played with the ends of her sleeves, and looked over to Jughead.
     "No, I told him I'd text him about it later on. I don't know what to say."
     "Maybe you should go." Archie chimed in. All heads turned to him, and Jughead gave him a death glare like never before. "What?" Archie asked. "I didn't think he was going to actually do it."
     "You knew this was going to happen?" Betty asked. Archie nodded his head.
     "Yeah why do you think I was pushing-" Archie stopped himself before he outted his friend. "Anyways, a lot of the guys on my football team were talking about liking you Y/N. They made a deal that the first one to ask you would call dibs, and it looks like Reggie beat them to it." Y/N looked down at the table again.
     "She's not some object your numb skulled friends can call dibs on. And you shouldn't go out with someone unless you really know them. Relationships take time, if you rush into them then they're bound to fail." Jughead said, looking over to Y/N. "don't do this unless you really want to."
     "I'm not sure what I want." Y/N stammered.
     "How could you not know what you want? It's not that hard, do you want to go out with Reggie yes or no." Jughead pressed, jealousy obviously present in his demeanor.
     "It's not that simple Juggie." Y/N said, her voice catching in her throat. She quickly stood from the booth and turned to Archie and Betty. "I have to go." She quickly turned and stormed off towards the exit.
     "Y/N wait!" Jughead yelled, sliding out of the booth. Betty stood up and stopped Jughead from chasing after her.
     "Let me go after her." she said, walking after Y/N. Archie stood from his seat as well, and turned Jughead to face him.
    "What the hell was that?" he asked, and Jughead rolled his eyes and sat in the booth again. He leaned his head in his hands and sighed. "You really handled that well Jughead. I'm proud."
     "I could do without the sarcasm right now."
     "What? Jughead doesn't want to be sarcastic for once? You really must be upset." Archie said, sitting across from Jughead.
     "I'm pissed." he grumbled.
     "At Y/N?" Archie asked.
     "No, why would I be pissed at her? She did nothing wrong. I'm pissed at myself, I made her uncomfortable and upset. I'm her best friend, she's supposed to be able to talk to me about these things, how is she going to trust me again after that outburst?" Jughead rubbed the bridge of his nose in attempt to release some pressure.
     "You need to get your jealousy under control there buddy." Archie said, and Jughead glared at him.
     "No shit." he huffed and Archie rolled his eyes. "Sorry, it's just that's kind of hard to do when she's got the whole football team making bets on who can get in her pants first. They aren't good for her!"
     "Just tell her how you feel, she obviously is confused on what to do because she's in love with you." Archie reasoned.
     "Maybe you're right."