A Confusing Love

Word Count: 1653
     A/N: another story long overdue, I'm sorry 😅 I'm going through some really tough times at the moment, and my depression is being awful, I haven't had much motivation for anything, but I'll try to write more. Much love ❤️

     "I swear if you don't wipe that miserable look off your face I'm gonna

     "I swear if you don't wipe that miserable look off your face I'm gonna..." Y/N stammered off, not quite sure what she was going to threaten Jughead with. He smirked and pulled his serpent jacket tighter around him, watching as Y/Ns face contorted in thought.
      "You're gonna what?" he asked, and she huffed, nothing coming to mind. "That's what I thought." he teasingly said, and she rolled her eyes, shivering slightly in the cold.
     "Whatever..." she angrily sighed, and Jughead reached over, zipping up the coat he had given to her.
     "You're going to freeze out here if you don't zip up." He said worriedly, and she laughed.
     "Ohh the big, bad, biker gang Jughead does have a soft side." she jokingly said, and he nodded his head.
     "Well yeah, I didn't give you this coat so you could freeze to death, I gave it to you because I want you to be warm-"
     "And because I begged you." She interrupted.
      "And because you begged me." Y/Ns smirk grew bigger and more mischievous as she watched Jugheads frown fall upon his face once again. She stopped in her tracks and waited until Jughead turned around to see her. When he gave her a questioning look, she unzipped the coat and took it for off, holding it to her chest and crossing her arms over it.
     "Th-there." She shivered, and Jughead ran up to her, watching as her lips quickly turned blue.
     "What the hell are you doing, you're going to get sick!" He exclaimed, trying to pry the coat out of her arms, but she was stubborn and turned around.
     "I'm not putting it o-on until you t-tell me what's wrong." She argued, and Jughead rolled his eyes.
     "It doesn't matter, and it sure isn't worth getting seriously sick over." Jughead said, but Y/N just frowned and shook her head.
     "Jughead your p-problems matter, especially t-to me. Please just tell me w-what's up." she tried her best to plead. She didn't know how long she could go without a coat, she was starting to lose feeling in her hands and up her arms.
     "My problem is that you won't put on the coat!" He worriedly exclaimed, picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder.
      "Jughead, p-put me down!" she giggled, banging on his back.
      "Not until we get to Pops!" He exclaimed, walking briskly the rest of the way to the neon lit diner and opening the door. He walked up the counter and gave a friendly smile to the waiter who looked worriedly at the scene. A south side serpent, leather coat and all with a yelling girl thrown over his shoulder.
     "Is she okay?" The waiter asked softly, and Jughead chuckled.
      "She is, she's just cold and stubborn. She'll have a hot chocolate and I'll have a burger and a shake." Jughead said, and the waiter hesitantly nodded, writing down the order.
     "Who's that you got there, Jug? Y/N I'm guessing?" Pops called from the kitchen, making his way to the front.
     "How'd you know?" Jughead asked jokingly, and Pops laughed.
     "I'd like to think I know my two favourite customers." he said. Jughead turned around so Y/N could see Pops, and she smiled at him.
     "Hiya Pops!" she greeted, and he laughed even more.
     "Poor thing, her lips are all blue and she looks colder than her own heart. I'll get your order out right away." he said, making his way back to the kitchen. Jughead nodded his head in thanks and made his way to his favourite booth, setting Y/N on the ground.
     "You're the worst." she giggled, and Jughead shrugged his shoulders, giving an award winning grin.
"I've been called worse." He replied, taking a seat in the booth. Y/N continued to stand though, throwing her coat on the seat and she crossed her arms, glaring down at Jughead.
     "What?" he asked, and Y/N rolled her eyes, giving him her best 'you know what' face.
     "Don't play stupid Jones, you still need to fess up why you've been such a downer." she pressed, and he sighed.
     "Y/N, really, it's nothing." he said, trying his best to make her drop the subject.
     "Yes it is! Why can't you tell me? I thought we were best friends?" she asked, hurt and worry laced into her voice.
     "We are, I just- I don't know if I can talk about it." he said, and Y/N nodded slowly.
     "Okay, fine. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, I just want you to know that anything you tell me is safe with me. You've always opened up to me, about your mother, about your sister, the drive in, your dad, everything. Im just a little worried that you can't talk to me about this." she explained, he nodded.
"It's just something I'll have to figure out on my own, that's all." Jughead said.
"Wouldn't you like a second opinion?" she jokingly suggested, but he just shook his head.
"I don't know if I can trust your opinion on this problem." Jughead replied, and Y/Ns face fell.
"Ouch." she said softly, looking down at the ground. Jughead quickly realized how his words came out and stood up, getting ready to apologize, but Y/N held her finger up to his lips. "Just don't." she said, walking around Jughead and making her way to the door.
"Y/N, please, wait!" Jughead called after her, and she turned to face him.
"I get that you don't want to tell me, and I understand that. I was just worried about you Jug, I always am. I could have gone without the comment about broken trust, though." she said, and he quickly started to make his way over to her. "I don't know what I did to break your trust, but whatever it was I'm sorry. I'll see you later." She quickly exited the diner, making her way out into the cold, snowy afternoon .
"Where's Y/N gone?" Pops asked, and Jughead frustratingly sighed.
"I don't know, I messed up." Jughead said, and Pops quickly set the burger and hot chocolate he was getting ready to serve to them down, looking out the window to try to spot Y/N.
"You let her go out there without a coat? It's about to be a full on blizzard out there!" Pops said quickly, and Jughead panicked, making his way to the booth to see if she had taken his coat he gave her. Sure enough though, it sat on the seat, she had left it here.
"God damn it, Y/N." he muttered, making his way out of the diner. The snow was falling hard, sparkling white making it hard to see. Thankfully, it hadn't been snowing hard enough yet to where Y/Ns shoe prints would be filled up, and he followed the tracks until he got to a park, where he found the girl sitting on a bench, white covering her (y/h/c) hair.
"Y/N!" He yelled, but instead of turning around to face him, she brought her knees up to her face and curled into a ball. Jughead ran up to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. She was cold to the touch.
"Oh my god, you must be freezing!" he exclaimed, taking off his leather jacket and placing it on her. Y/N shrugged it off though, but Jughead put it back on her.
     "I don't want your jacket, Jughead. Just leave me be for a little bit, maybe go talk to Betty about what's going on, you can trust her opinion, she's your girlfriend." Y/N said, rubbing her hands up and down her arms.
      "That's the problem, I can't talk to her about it either." Jughead confessed, and Y/N looked up at him confused.
     "Jughead, what the hell is going on with you? I'm really worried now, I thought you could trust her with anything. Aren't you guys happy?" she asked, and Jughead took a seat beside her.
     "We're happy, but we're both confused, although neither of us will admit it." he started to explain. "Betty is obviously still into Archie, I can tell by the way she looks at him, it's not quite the same as how she looks at me. I know she likes me and all, there's feelings there, but she loves Archie, she doesn't quite love me. And me on the other hand, I think I'm in love with someone else too."
     "What do you mean? In love with who?" Y/N quietly asked, meeting Jugheads eye contact.
     "My best friend." he said softly, and Y/N blushed, looking for any sign of regret or doubt on Jugheads face after his confession. "You, Y/N. I love you."
     "Oh..." she quietly mumbled, a smile taking over her face. "I love you too, Jughead." Jughead smiled as well, and he started to lean in, but Y/N felt a tinge of hesitation course through her, and her face fell.
     "Did I do something wrong?" Jughead asked, and Y/N shook her head.
     "No, it's just... you're still with Betty, maybe kissing isn't the best idea." she said, and Jughead nodded.
     "Maybe I should just break up with her, get it done and over with?" he suggested to himself, but Y/N didn't say anything. She felt bad about the whole thing. What if Betty actually really liked him?
     "Maybe we should go back to Pops?" she asked, and Jughead nodded. Y/N stood up, and Jughead straightened the leather coat on her, and she giggled slightly. This was going to be a bumpy part in their lives, but they'd get through it, but for the time being, they were going to go to Pops and enjoy some good food.