CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16

SUMMER'S P.O.V.

"Not your fault, Summer. It's not your fault." Skyler's smoothing my hair.

I remain silently crying between his arms and against his chest in remembering my mom's death.

"if only i listened to dad.... If only i hadn't joined the contest... If only i hadn't broken the guitar string... If only i hadn't let mom walk away to buy me a new one.... She would be here.. Still alive.. With me and dad.." I mumbled, still crying.

I hugged back at Skyler. Burying my face to her chest and soaking him of my tears.

"Summer.."

I'm already sniffing.

"let me go. I'd calmed down."

He released me. But not stepping away. He's still so close to me. I retreated a step and my back leaned against the tree.

I'm wiping my face by using my handkerchief.

"i'm not sorry for soaking your polo. It's your fault you haven't leave me alone that i want to cry on my own."

"and if didn't chase you, you should be dead by now."

And i just remembered the car coming to me earlier.

"okay. Many thanks."

Then we remained silent. Awkward silence between us.

I cleared my throat. "i'll go." I mumbled.

"where?"

I shrugged. "i don't know. Just.. Anywhere." I started moving when Skyler hold my hand.

"i'll go with you."

"you don't need to."

"but i want."

"i don't want you." I said.

"i don't care." He retorted.

Sometimes i think he's the male version of me when it comes to stubborness. And i don't know what's the cure of it.

"fine. But don't contradict me if you don't like the place that i would go." I pulled my hand and glared at him.

He seems hesitating.

Good.

"okay." He agreed.

I sigh.

I started walking and he follows.

We walk silently.

"why do you want to come with me?" I asked. Breaking the silence.

Seconds past and i thought he won't answer me.

"just to make sure you won't cross any road carelessly again."

"and why would you bother to care if i did?"

I'm walking ahead of him when he grabbed my wrist and i'd turn to him briskly.

"you're having a habit of grabbing me all the time!" I snapped at him angrily.

"well, get used to it."

I grunted.

"you scared me there, Summer." He said seriously. "and i don't want to feel it again. It's so... Ugh! Terrifying to witness." He put on his other hand on his temple. Like remembering it caused him a headache.