six.

"Colby! Open the goddamn door!" I yell, kicking it with my foot. My hands were already preoccupied with large boxes.

"Nah," he says on the other side.

"You're an asshole!" I call back with annoyance.

"I know you are but what am I?"

"An asshole," I reply again. I start smacking the door. "Open it or I will drop your Kingdom Hearts game!" I know how much he loves that video-game, which is sad.

No response. 

I loudly groan and set the large boxes on the ground. I see the door creek open a smidge and I automatically pounce at the sight of it moving.

"COLBY!" I yelp as I lost my balance, falling. 

And to my dismay, 

right above him. 

I close my eyes but once I opened them, I just saw his deep ocean blue eyes staring back at me. We are so close, face-to-face, nose-to-nose. My arms are on either side of his head and his hands are on my waist while my right knee is between his legs and the other against his waist. It looks like I'm straddling him! GROSS.

 My hair has fallen to each side of my face and I could only look directly at him. My cheeks instantly began to heat up.

We stare, and stare for seconds that felt like hours. 

I can't look away. His gaze was mesmerizing. I just can't.

I gulp loudly, trying to signal that we are both still alive, and not just staring statues.

"I-I tried to help you not fall... and make sure my game was okay..." his stuttering voice trails off as he gazes at my lips. I unintentionally bite mine to hold myself back from losing control and crashing mine to his. 

Oh how I wish.

But he's my rival. I hate him. 

The thought that he was my rival finally clicks into my brain and I stand up, adjusting my top. 

"Okay, that was weird," I shake, brushing off my shoulders.

"Aha, lets just not do that again," He says too, slowly getting up.

"Agreed."

"Mhm." 

"We should probably go and help now?" I say, pointing to the door.

"Yea...that'd be best." He awkwardly says, shoving his hands in his pockets and opening the door for us to leave.

We didn't look at each other the whole elevator ride back down. Nobody spoke a word. It was strange. Leaving the apartment was strange. Not one nasty comment was spit that whole time. 

How?

Normally, I'd probably yell at him for being a stupid idiot to open the door and he'd yell back for being a clumsy butthole or something. 

But, that didn't happen.

I didn't start the insult spree.

And neither did he.

/////

After a few awkward trips with Colby in the elevator and a mumble of "thanks," every now and then, we weren't speaking or being human with each other at all.

It felt wrong.

I try to steal a glance at him but once I looked, he looked back. Then we both looked away, like as if we were on cue.