thirteen.

The car ride was painfully awkward and silent for a good ten minutes.

Besides the fact that the radio was on...

But if you know Colby Brock like I do, he'll speak eventually.

Which he did.

"So, why exactly are you going to the airport?" He asks, not daring to look at me. Also because he was driving.

"I'm going back to Kansas," I reply, glancing at him. He was just wearing a black t-shirt and some jeans with a messy hairstyle. He must've not remembered to comb it because it was curly a little but oh so attractive. I'm trying so hard not to stare because he'll notice, I bet.

"Yeah, well cool but why leave now?" He asks, actually interested. Dream Colby wasn't really like this. Dream Colby was an asshole. 

This Colby is a good person, which makes it much harder for me to hate him.

"Because it's my mom's birthday and my sister is coming too, I guess," I mumble.

"Mama Neil and Kate, nice... I always thought your sister was cute," He chuckles.

"What! You weirdo, why would you ever have that thought," I say, surprised, smacking his arm.

"If it makes you feel any better, I think you're cuter, geez," He murmurs loud enough for me to hear. 

Did he.

Huh.

What.

Did he just call me cute? Because my sister is CUTE and he called me, cuter? Woah. 

"Okay..." I say, suspiciously.

"So, you getting away from Ellie?" He asks, nonchalantly.

"Wh-what, no," I stutter.

"C'mon liar, I know you too well. She'd be driving you to the airport and not me if you two weren't being petty," He smirks.

"Don't even start about that night, I just want to forget it so I don't have anymore pettiness."

"Oh, well I'm good with that then," He says, abashed.

"Good," I sigh.

A few awkward seconds go by. I didn't want to talk but I prepared myself to, knowing he'll want to ask me more questions.

He finally, hesitantly asks, "Are you and Sam becoming... close?" 

"I guess, he's a great person to be around," I shrug, looking out the window.

"Right,... well are you guys going to start dating?" 

"I don't know, I wouldn't mind if he asked me out though," I grin, slightly.

"Wow, well I didn't see that coming," He yawns, "Don't break his fragile heart if you date my best friend."

"Don't break my best friend's fragile heart, because you're dating her now," I say back.

"Girls are so strange," He shakes his head, "One second they're hating each other and the next, they're defending each other."

"What's that pose to mean?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"When guys get pissed, we get pissed. Then if somebody asks us about who we're pissed about, we tell them why they suck." He says that like it's no big deal, but I couldn't help to think he was implying Sam. Since he was out with two other guys yesterday without him.

"Do you do that?" I ask.

"I'm a guy, so yeah."

"Do you even do that to your best friend?" I interrogate.