eight.

Colby Brock, I like you.

I like you so much that I hate you.

And it's a problem.

But I still will hate you.

Heading to the movies was a pain. Sam sat shotgun while Colby and Ellie were all lovey-dovey in the backseat. They gave each other pecks and held hands the whole time. It made my body uncomfortable, like it didn't know how to react.

I didn't know how to react.

Sam and I were making small talk, just trying to not get involved with the couple. The conversation usually drifted a little since we don't really, really know each other, but it was good getting to know him. Sam's a cute guy, we are both people who enjoy quiet time but love to be active, and we both hate pickles. We have some more similarities, to my surprise and I couldn't help happen to notice Colby not paying too much attention to whatever Ellie was saying.

I happened to look in the driver's mirror for a split second and I caught a glimpse of his deep ocean pupils staring back at me. I look away, trying not to get distracted by his glare.

Though, was it jealousy I was seeing?

No, not Brock, could Brock ever get jealous?

I mean, he's got the biggest ego in the history of the world.

But I'd want him to be jealous.

"Hey, red light!" Sam yells, pulling me out of my trance. I step hard on the brake.

"SHIT," I screech, "Holy fuck, sorry omg, I was distracted," I stammer, pulling a loose hair behind my ear.

"What got you so distracted? Sam's talking?" Colby says, somewhat sternly and somewhat jokingly. I couldn't tell, he could've been mad.

"So funny, ha," Sam replies.

"Just be careful Ash, we don't wanna die and while it's their first day in LA," Ellie chimes in.

"Yeah, well I wasn't planning on getting distracted or having you all die," I harshly say, "Except Colby."

Colby smacks my chair, "Bitch, I heard that!"

"Good!" I roll my eyes.

Dead silence.

Awkward silence.

Uncomfortable silence.

"Um, lets just put on some nice music," Ellie quietly says, "Sam can you play something on your phone or something."

"Sure, Twenty One Pilots anyone?" He asks, holding up their album.

"Fine," I mutter, I love their music so much actually. House of Gold started to play and Colby was surprisingly the first one to jump onto the song.

"Damn, didn't know you could sing so terribly to such a great song," I laugh at him, "Actually, you make all great songs sound terrible."

"Thanks, appreciate your such nice input," He sarcastically says, but it wasn't in any jokingly or friendly manner. Just straight up rude. Again.

Everybody stopped laughing.

Nobody spoke.

But "House of Gold" was still playing...

/////

"Yo, I just looked at the traffic report on my phone and a major accident is up ahead..." Sam says, looking disappointed, "Probably no movie tonight, we're going to miss it for sure."

"No! But I really wanted to see that movie..." Ellie fake sobs.

"It's okay El, we could still go see a movie on Netflix back at our apartment," Colby lays her head on his shoulder and comforts her.