thirty-seven.

My heart dropped five stories below the ground as my eyes wandered to the gray smoke in the air and the flashes of red and blue. 

"Brennen!" I shout, pointing there.

"I know, I'm going there now, it's okay," Brennen reassures.

"C-colbs, are you still there?" I ask, wanting to hear his voice.

"Y-yes, Ash," He responds.

"Anyone hurt? I saw the ambulance!" I cry into the phone. I felt hot tears streaming down the surface of my skin. 

"It's,... Sam," He murmurs sadly, "The ambulance just strapped him and they're heading to the emergency room now."

"What are his injuries? His reactions, pulse, tell me everything!" I scream, feeling helpless. I should've been there! I should've rode in the car with Sam, not Brennen. Sam was driving, what, how, I'm so lost. 

It's frustrating when you know tragic has struck and you can't do anything about it. 

"Ash, I'm standing in the ambulance, he's being treated, I don't know too much but he's unconscious and... bloody," He replies. 

I squint my eyes as knowing Sam was definitely not okay. It wasn't a good sign that he was unconscious. The possibility of a concussion is now high, and I feel myself slowly shriveling at the thought of Sam.

I hear muffles go on and the sound of Elton's voice. "Dude, you gotta stay with the car, you live with him so they need those details about him. You were also in the car before he dropped you guys off, the police need to talk to you like now. Go! I got Sam, meet us at the hospital," Elton says.

I hear a muffle of 'Alright,' from Colby. 

He shakes into words, "Hey, I got to go get interviewed, see in you soon." 

"Okay, and Colby, you'll be fine, you're okay," I assure him.

"Thanks," He says with gratitude, "Bye."

"Bye," I respond, hanging up.

Brennen pulls into the parking lot where the car was trashed and crushed on both sides. The front stuck and smoked in a palm tree. No other vehicle that got damaged was anywhere to be seen. 

I jump out the car and run to my group of friends. 

I firstly see Ellie, Corey, Amanda, Devyn, and Nik grouped up. Nik and Amanda were talking to police officers. I quickly give them hugs so I didn't interrupt their interviews. Corey and Devyn were talking to a different set of police officers and I gave them the same embraces. 

I then saw Ellie, her face in tears, her hair tattered, and her hands... stained with blood that I assume wasn't hers. 

She was cleaning her hands but her clothes were still stained with the red liquid. 

I start walking to her. She looks up, quickly finishes washing her palms and runs to me. 

I feel myself quicken the pace to where I was sprinting my way to my best friend. We collided in one broken mess of tears and arms. I wrapped myself as tightly as I could around her limp body and she did the same.  I could feel her weakness as she was stripped down to a low point.

"I-I couldn't stop the bleeding, I-I j-just couldn't, Ash!" She cries into my shoulder.

"It's okay, you did your best, it's not your fault," I say with sympathy, stroking her hair gently. 

We kneel onto the ground as we cry our worries into each other. I've never felt so low either, I wasn't even hit as hard as much as Ellie was hit.