fifty-eight.

Colby Brock has been my rival ever since freshman year in high school.

Never in a million years had I thought I'd ever fall so deep for him.

"Brock," I say in almost a whisper.

"Neil," He replies in a hushed tone.

I stalk closer to him, tugging a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"What are you doing here in the middle of the hallway?" I ponder aloud.

He sighs, looking down.

"Sam's been urging me to go outside to clear my head for like an hour, finally I come out and I'm greeted by you."

I blush, feeling embarrassed that we are crossing paths at this time.

"Are you... okay?" I ask, quietly.

He raises an eyebrow, "Okay?"

"Yeah..." I respond, growing awkward.

What's he thinking? God, I hate feeling so dainty and reserved.

"Um, far from it," He replies, instantly.

I frown, saddened by his answer. I could tell by his puffy eyelids that he was just done from crying, and by the appearance of his normally happy face; it was flushed instead.

He and Sam could have been yelling at each other for a while or something. Who knows, maybe they didn't even make up and that's why he sent Colby outside to clear his head.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, twiddling my thumbs.

He waves me off, "Don't be, everything's my fault."

I shake my head frantically, "Oh no, I can't believe you're pinning yourself for the blame."

He rolls eyes, "I mean, it is true."

"No. We both know who's fault it was and it was mi-"

"Me. It was me, Neil," He interrupts.

"Oh my god, everything's my fault you dumbass!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, right," He scoffs.

"If I just told Ellie how I really felt, then the drama could have been avoided," I argue.

"Well if I just figured out my feelings on time, I wouldn't of had to have hurt three people. I let people down, Neil. You, Ellie, and Sam," He whispers, dismally.

I lightly touch his arm in comfort, "You didn't let me down, Brock."

"I did. You saw how uncontrollable I was when I was around you. What we did together hurt Ellie. I'm a terrible person." A tear escapes from his eye as his head hangs low, "-It sucks because I don't regret anything. I enjoyed every single one of all those moments behind her back."

I felt my heart ache at his words. He's really beating himself up for things that weren't really his fault. I feel like garbage when he says he liked our moments together.

He liked cheating on Ellie, and in all honesty, I liked him doing that too even when we knew it was wrong.

I'm a pathetic excuse for a human being.

"Colby, you're not the only terrible person. I mean, doing those things with you behind my best friend's back... ugh I want to take it all back, but I wouldn't," I feel my own self start to become emotional, "-I, I shouldn't h-have let those things continue though. If only I was more honest with everyone, this could have been avoided. I'm so stupid, and so dimwitted to not think before I did things. My selfishness and-"