fifty-seven.

REFER TO CHAPTER 4

Rival.

Such a haunting word.

/rīvəl/ n.

a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

/////

I think about Colby and I and I think...

what was the
same objective or same field of activity?

Perhaps, intelligence?

Popularity?

Life?

Such big topics for two small people in a sea of 7.5 billion other individuals.

My comprehension between us is foreign.

The outside world sought us to be like that title.

Oh, look at us now.

/////

"Do you hate him?"

"No," She responds.

As Ellie and I still sit closely together on her bed, we continue to pick up where we left off.

I'm still in her room and as the day turns into dusk, the moon waits to arise.

"Will you still stay here in LA with me?" I ask Ellie.

She shakes her head no, "I have my own university to attend back in Kansas."

I nod, forgetting she had to leave once it was the end of the summer.

"Why? Do you think you can't be in this apartment alone?" She asks, grinning.

I smile, "I don't think I can live down the hall to two idiots."

"You can handle those two, you're in love with one of them," She responds.

"Are you really okay with that, though?" I ask, shyly.

She wraps an arm around my shoulder, "I am."

"That was a short response, El Parker," I huff, raising an eyebrow.

She throws her arms jokingly in defense, "If you're in love with the boy, be my fucking guess because he obviously chose you!"

"Girl, are your emotions stable?" I question with half joking concern. She's taking things a bit better than I expected.

"Meh, still heartbroken. I need a distraction. Ellie Parker ain't no pussy though."

I laugh, "I wonder what they're doing right now, do you think they're okay?"

She shrugs, resting her head on my shoulder. "To be honest Ash, I couldn't care less. I'm so single right now, I just want to go out and ride penny boards like the first time we went to Venice Beach at sunset."

"Want to?" I say, turning my head to her.

"Can we?" She asks, perking up.

"I mean... let's go," I grin.

She jumps out of bed and dashes into the living room.

"Where are you going?" I call out after her.