sixty.

[ the final chapter ]

Sam's sudden outburst caught me off guard. Of course I was curious on what he was about to say he would tell me but...

Do I want to know?

Dumbfounded from the sudden sentence is what I am.

A little speechless at a sense... I mean the past is the past, and we may want to learn from it sometimes but other times it's better to leave things there.

"Sam, I don't think I have to know. It's okay, seriously."

He waves me off, "No, I feel like I have been carrying this heavy burden on my back. I don't know, please just listen and be open minded okay?"

I nod, but I couldn't help to have regret slowly trace the rims of my brain.

"So... I liked you. And before you say anything more-! I don't at the moment so don't take things the wrong way," He awkwardly laughs.

I smile. Relief washes over me. I was on the edge considering whether to ask him if he still did or not.

"Look, I wanted you for myself but then shit went down, I got injured and things were a mess... and while I was sleeping one night at the hospital, I had this dream of you being happy. With Colby."

He continues, inhaling sharply, "You guys were laughing together as if you hadn't laughed together in years. But you guys were a couple in my dream. Both of you were in a state of euphoria because you both were so madly in love with each other. And I was off in the parking lot, jealous that you both found happiness within each other. Jealous and envious as I was, I began to ball my eyes out by seeing you two happy. It made me feel emotional..."

"I felt uncomfortable seeing you two as a couple as well. Especially as you and I used to have something, and you instead went to my best friend. I realize it's what the world wanted but it just hurt as I wished I could have what you guys had in the dream...then something about elephants and kpop singers popped up into the dream but that's besides the point."

He laughs, "When I woke up, I realized however that I liked seeing you happy and that was what mattered. I held off telling Ellie for that reason, because I rather see you guys just solve out your problems yourselves. I didn't really want to be the one that just caused more problems... when in the end I did but still—!"

"That's why I bit my tongue. I'm now genuinely glad you're making my best friend become a more mindful, caring and optimistic person. Not that he wasn't before, but now he's always in this love struck and ecstatic state or mood that's just contagious."

I giggle, "Sam... I thank you then. If you're happy I'm happy, for real. Just what made you actually tell Ellie? Did I provoke you by not attending the day of the lawsuit? Please tell me you can forgive me on making the decision I did... I'm still sorry. Seriously."

Sam sighs, shoving his hands in his pockets, "Well, actually not really. Okay, I had another dream the night before the lawsuit. It was a continuation of the one I just told you. It was after the kpop singers were done singing to the elephant but anyways, I was in the parking lot and suddenly I saw Ellie come out of the elevator with tears. And the idiot I was, in the dream, asked her why she was crying and she told me because it was because of you guys which was like, go figure. So in short, when I woke up I had another epiphany."

"Now keep in mind, my intentions at the time are not what I would have done now. I came to the conclusion that you two just hadn't solved your problems, you both still had some deep feelings for each other and Ellie is just going to end up with heartbreak if she found out when it was too late. "Late" meaning he would full on be cheating on her and she'd literally become the side chick instead of the main chick. So when I was at court getting ready and she was holding his hand, I couldn't stop but think that he just didn't want to hold hers anymore. He looked uneasy, and so if he couldn't even hold her hand while looking comfortable, what is the point in holding her hand at all?"