Shit hits the fan. (Pt, One.)

Melancholy:(Noun)

a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause. "an air of melancholy surrounded him" -synonyms: desolation, sadness, pensiveness, woe, sorrow, melancholia; unhappiness, dejection, depression, gloom, gloominess, misery, low spirits. "a feeling of melancholy descended on him"

(adjective)- having a feeling of melancholy; sad and pensive. "she felt a little melancholy" -synonyms: sad, sorrowful, desolate, melancholic, mournful, lugubrious, gloomy, pensive; despondent, dejected, depressed, depressing, down, downhearted, disconsolate, sunk in gloom, miserable, dispirited, discouraged, woeful, woebegone, doleful, wistful, unhappy, joyless, heavy-hearted, low-spirited, defeatist, pessimistic; informal down in the dumps. "Mozart's exquisitely melancholy clarinet concerto"

-

Harry

It's been two days since Joe was poisoned. I spent most of my time at the hospital by her bedside. She hasn't woken up yet but the doctors keep telling me she'll be fine. The police haven't found any evidence of who did this, (I didn't tell anyone that Joe thinks it was her dad), the only set of fingerprints on the box was Joe's, mine, and the delivery boy. 

Mike told me that Joe will be fine. He said, her body is fighting off the poison and with the help of the antidote he gave her, she will make a full recovery. 

My thumb strokes her hand, I release a sigh and gently lift her hand to my lips and place a kiss on her knuckles. "I miss you," I whisper against her skin.

Joe and I might not know each other that well, but we do have a history. A History when she's better I want to find out just what happened between us.

Did I really tattoo her flawless skin? And if I did, I want to find out why.

As I lay her hand back down on the bed, I hear the door open. Turning my head I expect to see a nurse walk in, but who I see causes anger to boil inside of me. 

I have to bite my tongue to prevent me from making a scene.

His blue eyes glance between his daughter and me. 

Clearing his throat he asks, "How is she?" 

Why the fuck do you want to know? That's what I want to say, but instead, I just reply with, "Her temperature is slightly high but they said she's better than yesterday."

"Oh, that's good." He walks to the other side of the bed then looks over at me, "Can I have a moment with my daughter please?"

"Of course Mr Hemmings."

"It's Detective Hemmings to you lad," He says as I release Joe's soft hand.

My eyes flicker to his as I mumble, "Yeah sure, if she wants up let me know."

He doesn't reply and leans down to kiss Joe's forehead.

Fucker.

-

I tell my driver to wait when I climb out of the car and make my way up the steps. My fist knocks on the white front door, seconds later it opens revealing a woman with long blonde hair, blue eyes, and wearing a cooking apron. 

"Mrs Hemmings-"

With her open hand, she slaps my left cheek. It doesn't hurt much, however out of instinct I bring my hand up and cup my stinging skin. 

"Come in boy," She holds the door open for me, I continue standing there, confused at her actions. Mrs Hemmings pinches the bridge of her nose and says, "If you came to apologise for taking my little girl's virginity, there's no need."