39 | Smile

A Little Unsteady: 39| Smile
| Laura Marano |

| The Next Day (July 12th, 2019) |

"Babe, you're going to be just fine." I reassure Ross for the millionth time. Just to be safe for the bands sake (mostly for Ross) they sectioned off the first three feet in front of the stage with those metal gates and had a security guard on each end. So far, I was the only one allowed to be walking in the marked off zone, just so Ross would be comfortable while performing. Vanni decided to stand side stage with Stormie, Mark, Andre, Cheryl and George while all the other friends were mixed in the crowd.

"No I won't be." He whispers, taking a single in-ear out. "I'm freaking out, Laura." H says, grabbing onto my upper arms. "Can't you can I just ditch and go home where I can be safe in my bedroom with only you?" He asks, completely overreacting.

"Ross, take a few deep breaths." I say, looking him in the eye. "You're going to do so well out there. I've watched you rehearse all week and you've done an amazing job. And during Smile, all you have to say is nothing at all, okay?" I speak slowly, hoping my voice would help soothe him. "I'm going to be right in front of you. If you feel like you're about to have a panic attack, which won't happen, just stop playing the guitar and reach both of your hands out to me to pull me up. We'll both head off stage and cool you off." He nods the slightest. "Hey, all these people here came because they love you, Ross. They aren't here to judge. They're here to have the night of their lives and sing along to their favorite band with their favorite songs." I explain.

"Ross, we go on in five." Riker shouts. His in-ears must be in.

"Kiss?" He whispers, moving his hands down to my waist. Smiling the slightest, I grab the back of his neck and bring his lips onto mine. "I love you." He says, pulling away.

"I love you too." I reply, looking him in the eye. "Remember, I'm here for you." Nodding, he kisses my forehead before heading over to his band to do their lucky thing, Ryland included.

"AAAAHHHHHHH READY SET ROCK!!!" Ryland rushes to the lighting stage and I make my way towards the side of the stage to sneak my way in. Before I go, I give Ross one last smile. He smiles back and grabs the guitar Bubba was holding for him. He's going to do great.

The crowd was insane. It amazes me how the smallest of crowds always feels the most hyped. Not to mention, the boys (and Rydel) were killing it! They were about to sing Trading Time, meaning Smile was next, and Ross couldn't keep his eyes off mine. I knew he was getting a little nervous as the time moved along, but he was still being amazing. his voice just... it gets to me every single time. The whole time through Trading Time, I kept my small little groovy dance going, occasionally snapping pictures of him on my phone. As soon as Trading Time ended, Ross stepped away from she mix for water while Riker introduced the next song.

"Hello party people!" He shouts into his mic. "This next on is, is kind of an old one, but a good one!" He was breathing heartily as he turned around and glanced at Ross. I look his way too, seeing Ross with his hands on his head and taking deep breaths. Riker looks at me, to which I nod slowly. Riker continues.  "I wanna see everybody smiling!" Just like that, Rydel starts on piano. "Today I feel like running naked through your street. To get your attention. Whoa-oh-oh. I broke up with my girl so tell me where to meet. Oh, did I mention? Whoa-oh-oh." Riker starts, getting the ground pumped up. Ross' eyes land on mine as him and Rocky sing the next few lines.