Chapter 37

These human resources people are so irritating! I mean seriously, they want money to save a life, and if we don't do so, then they can't save that life.

They don't realize that we're having problems with money. Mom's not been getting her paycheck for the past six months, and she's been begging her manager to take action, but that jerk hasn't done anything yet. Dad's been taking too many sick days and day offs for the past six months as well. But, he has a reason.

For the past six months, he has been going to doctor appointments twice a week, and sometimes he even had to stay home due to strong medications. Last month he went on a two-week business trip which was mandatory.

I took a seat on the chair outside of dad's room. I need to call Austin. I don't know what to do and he's probably the only one to tell me how to handle this.

Austin: Hey princess.
Jasmine: Hi...
Austin: What's wrong?
Jasmine: Everything.
Austin: Is Arson alright?
Jasmine: N-no.
Austin: I'm worried now. Tell me what's wrong.

I couldn't hold my tears any longer. Tears cascaded down my cheeks like a waterfall as I cried my eyes out.

Austin: Jasmine, please don't cry.
Jasmine: I'm-I'm sorry. I can't help it.
Austin: Now take a deep breath and tell me what's going on.
Jasmine: It's the human resources department's fault. They want money, and you know we're down.
Austin: Why'd they want money?
Jasmine: Austin, Dad has a heart disease.
Austin: What?!
Jasmine: Dad's heart is twice as big as a normal adult's heart. His heart is trying too hard to beat. He needs a heart transplant, but...
Austin: But what?
Jasmine: Combining the surgery fees, caring and medication, donation fees and some more add up to a total of three hundred fifty thousand dollars. About seventy percent is the down payment, which is ninety-five thousand dollars.
Austin: I swear, these human resources people just want our money.
Jasmine: Yeah. They even gave us a time limit of two weeks to give in the down payment for putting dad's name on the donor's list.
Austin: They want that much money in two weeks just to put a name on a list?!
Jasmine: Yeah...
Austin: That's so pathetic. How much do you guys have so far?
Jasmine: Twenty thousand only. We need seventy-five thousand more in just two weeks.
Austin: I can only send five thousand right now.
Jasmine: Better something than nothing.
Austin: Okay, well, I have to get going. I'll send in the money soon.
Jasmine: That's fine.
Austin: Take care of yourself and everyone else.
Jasmine: I will.

Now to go around asking my friends and family to lend me their money like a beggar because the money in our bank accounts is needed to pay the bills and mortgages.

I feel bad for taking money from others and then not even paying them back until a long time. At least they understand what I'm going through; they'd be willing to give me as much time as like to pay them back.

That is if  I can pay them back.

I told Chris that I was leaving, and of course, he asked me why. Being the good liar, I made up an excuse if having to be alone for the day, but he caught me. Chris decided to come along just to accompany me and that he didn't like the idea of me not being watched by anyone.

Basically, he got the no-pay job of being my bodyguard.

We were headed to Aunt Liza's house first since she was the closest from the hospital that we were in; an hour away.

The car ride was pretty soundless for the first thirty minutes, but Chris couldn't take it anymore, so he started interrogating me with the most random questions that have absolutely no relation to the current circumstance.

Questions like, "How's Austin's gang?", or something like, "How is your English summative coming along?" The most recent question was, "Want to grab a bite at an ice cream shop? They have Nutella-flavored ice cream."

Saying no to Nutella? Definitely not happening. I mean, who ignores Nutella?

Plus, it was a great way to get my mind off things that have been bothering me lately.

In a few minutes, we were at a well-known ice cream shop. I remember coming here with Austin before we started dating.

When we couldn't see each other at our houses, we'd make an excuse to our parents and see each other at this ice cream shop. We'd talk about our day, share our thoughts, laugh, and have loads of fun for two hours.

Those were great memories.

Chris ordered two scoops of Nutella ice cream in a cup for me and two scoops of rocky road in a cup for him. He even asked for a bite from my cup, but I didn't let him.

Like, how dare he ask to have a single bite of my Nutella ice cream? That's a big no-no.

"Take my Nutella, I take your precious life." I coldly state as I took a bite of my ice cream.

"Okay, okay, jeez. Note to self, never ask a pretty girl for a bite of her ice cream." Chris rolls his eyes, and I kindly blush at his compliment.

After eating, we went to a park for a walk. At first, it was pretty silent because both of us didn't know what to say. Chris was deep in thought and I caught him glancing at me a couple of times.

It wasn't some glare or a boring look. It wasn't a sad or a happy look either. His eyes were filled with desire, softness, regret, and something else that I couldn't quite make out.

I asked Chris what was he thinking about and if he was alright, but he waved it off telling me it was nothing. I, of course, didn't believe him.

Chris's POV

She caught me looking at her and being in deep thought. She asked what I was thinking and that if I was okay, but I told her it was no big deal. Of course, I couldn't tell her what was on my mind. She'd think of me differently and things would be really awkward between us.

The truth is that I'm not the Chris used to be anymore.

The Chris that was always so cold, tough, emotionless and intimidating is now able to smile more, laugh, be kind, and have feelings.

How and why?

Because of Jasmine.

The day I met her, I didn't like her but when I realized that she was the 'special girl' of my mom's friend, Jane, that mom always talked about.

When I told mom about her, she immediately told me that she's the target. At first, I didn't understand, but after she and dad told me about her and her boyfriend, flames of anger and disbelief ran into me.

I was so eager to get this mission done, and befriending Jasmine and make her trust me was my main goal for now. Of course, I befriended her and she trusts me enough.

I was strictly told to not have mercy and pity anyone, and also not have any emotions.

Little did I know that one girl can change everything. She changed my life the moment I met her. I couldn't get her out if my head, and I didn't know why at that point, but now, I do.

I'm falling for Jasmine, and there is nothing I can do to change that.

--------------------------------

Liked this chapter? If yes, then I consider you clicking that star button! If no, no problem. But, if you like, you can continue reading and watch how the story changes, and maybe, just maybe you'll reconsider on not voting;)

Thanks for reading! Point out any mistakes and feel free to comment!