Chapter 38

Jasmine's POV

As we're heading back to the hospital, a peculiar thought sweeps over me, leaving me querying for an answer. There were numerous ways in which this could have occurred, but I doubt any of them could be right.

I must know how it happened. After all, I'm their daughter now, and I have the privilege to acknowledge the whole situation.

I must have tensed up quite a bit, making it evident to Chris, because he gently takes my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine. Then, he strokes my hand softly with his thumb, which surprisingly soothes me down a little.

I feel butterflies in my stomach as he keeps his hand in mine, his warm touch igniting my entire body. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be happy or disappointed by this sensation, but I all I knew was that I really liked the feeling, and I didn't want to let it go at the moment.

This sensation has been occurring and grew ever since Chris and I became friends, which was when I was in the hospital due to my accident. He was incredibly caring and attentive towards me with or without anybody present in the room. It was like all he saw and cared about was me; as if nothing else mattered to him other than me.

Being my lovable, over-possessive and protective boyfriend, Austin grew to be sort of jealous of Chris being with me most of the time, and that he couldn't stand him being the oh so perfect guy a girl could ask for towards his girlfriend. I told him that it was nothing to be tensed about and that he's just genuinely concerned about me, although Austin and I both knew that it was a lie.

Chris became extra caring and sort of like Austin as time flew by, and I didn't even bother to tell him to stay distant. I actually liked that side of Chris, and I grew to like it even more, but Austin had thought otherwise. He told me once that Chris has feelings for me, and that he's trying to make me his, but I didn't believe him, mainly because I didn't think of Chris and I's relationship as a level up than friends.

I mean, who would've thought that when you have an extremely hot, bad-boy type of man as your best friend, boyfriend, and true love? I truly love Austin with all my heart, and wouldn't change anything about him, because he's my handsome prince charming, and I'm his beautiful princess.

I glance over to my right side as he eyes are focused straight along our pathway towards the hospital doors, a stoic, serious, yet bold expression present on his handsome face. He notices me gazing at him, so he turns his head to face me and breaks into a gorgeous smile before saying, "I know I'm incredibly handsome and irresistible, Jasmine, you could've just said it instead of staring me down."

I scoff, "Oh please. Have you seen yourself? You're not even close to being my type."

A smirk tugs at his lips and he almost closes the space in between us as I lean against a car. I could feel his breath against my lips; that's how close he was to me. I knew that he was just teasing, but this little voice at the back of my head, my conscious, tells me that this means much more than a simple friendship, a simple tease.

Unbelievably, I listened to that little voice and allowed Chris to do whatever he was going to do at the moment.

And at that very moment, the time had stopped.

It felt like he was anxiously waiting for this to ever happen, and when it finally did by him making the first move, it was like as if he had earned the privilege to declare me as his; only his.

That's the way I could describe him kissing me right now. He was kissing me not softly nor sweetly, but like a hungry beast who hasn't eaten in days, weeks even. He didn't even realize how hungry he was up till this moment.