Chapter 40

Two weeks later

I'm so happy. 

Like, I'm really happy.

Just two days ago, we received the last amount of money for the down payment needed for putting my dad's name on the donor's list. 

As for the rest of the money, we've taken a loan from the bank and gave in the fees to the hospital. They found a donor just this morning for dad, and the surgery will take place in two days. 

After the surgery, dad won't be required to use the machine for his heart beat, which will be a big relief for all of us. He won't get heart strokes anymore, he won't have to visit the doctor every week, and he will be able to live a normal life once again.

The look on mom's face was unexplainable. She was happier than me, but dad was happier than all of us. 

However, the relation between Austin and I kept becoming distant. We've been arguing more than laughing and talking like other couples do. Austin blames Chris, and I blame his over-protectiveness and delusion. 

This has been occurring since the day Jake and I landed in Adelaide, Austraila. Whenever Chris's name has been uttered in front of Austin, a strange, uncomfortable look comes over him, and he shifts closer to me, thinking that Chris is harm to me. 

If only he could just talk it through with me. Maybe then our relationship wouldn't be that complicated. 

For the past week, we had taken a break from each other. Not a break-up, but we needed some time to be alone and concentrate on our lives rather than arguing every day. We decided not to interfere in each other's lives, and just not talk to each other, although it broke the both of us because I loved him, and I still do. 

Chris and I, on the other hand, had become extremely close to each other over the past week. After our kiss and mom and I's conversation that day, I decided to talk about it with Chris after a week of avoiding him, which was the hardest thing to do. 

Chris admitted his feelings for me when I went over to his place the night we cleared things out between us and said that he really likes me.

Funny how Austin confessed the same exact way.

Nothing else happened despite the fact that the moment I was going to leave after telling him that I too had some feelings for him, but it wouldn't be fair to Austin and I still love him, he grabbed me by my waist and kissed me the same exact way he first kissed me. 

I don't know why, but I didn't push him away. It was like I was secretly hoping for him to kiss me. 

The weird part was that Austin doesn't even know, and I don't even know how will he react when he finds out, that is when I tell him.

Chris has been telling me to break up with Austin, and that I'd be better off with a person who isn't a part of any gang business, and someone who wouldn't leave my side. 

Basically, he was trying to tell me to break up with the love of my life and become his girlfriend, and then we both can go to Australia to finish up his business for his dad and return back to start a new life.

And I listened.

Tonight, I was going to call Austin and break up with him. It'll be hard, but I like Chris. He isn't involved in a gang, meaning I wouldn't be in any chances of being hurt or being in danger, and he's a good guy. 

It's time to move on. Austin and I haven't been making any progress after our fight two weeks ago.

**

Deep breathes, Jasmine. You can do this. Call Austin and just get over it. 

Here goes nothing. 

But before I even clicked my contacts icon on my phone, I get an incoming call from Austin. 

"Hey," I say.

"Hey princess."

"Still not over with the whole princess thing, I see?" I chuckle.

"What can I say? I miss my girlfriend. This break between us is killing me, but I know it's for our own good" He says.

This is going to be harder than I thought. 

"Well, about that," I start. "I don't think it's working out."

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"It's about us. We're not working out. Last week was rough for us, and I don't think taking a break is the solution. Chris is a family friend, and as long as he's friends with us, these arguments about him will never stop. Our relationship will just weaken more, Austin." I exclaim.

Austin pauses for a bit, taking in what I just said, then says, "So, you're saying that we should break up?" 

"Yeah," I huff.

"Well, I guess you're right. But, just know that I still love you and I always will. You're not forced into loving me anymore. You can date whoever you want even though it'll break me, but to me, your happiness matters. If you aren't happy with me, then I won't force you to be with me. But, if the guy whom you're dating is bothering or causing you pain, I'll kill them, and I won't let you stop me. Is that clear?" He firmly says the last sentence.

I chuckle and nod, even though I know he cannot see and say, "Yes boss."

"Good." I could hear the smile in his voice. 

"Well, now that we're besties, we can gossip!" I squeal and Austin groans. 

"Seriously? I'm not-"

"Yeah yeah, I know you aren't a girl, but you're my best friend, and you're supposed to listen to my crap," I smirk and groans once again.

I could practically see Austin's eye roll through my phone since I'm forcing him into something he despises. 

Well, he has no choice. 

"Actually, I have something to tell you." I blush.

"I'm listening," He encourages.

I take a deep breath and say, "I like Chris and I have been liking him since the past two weeks and we kiss two times ever since we had our crazy yet short argument that day and last weekend he confessed that he likes me and I'm the perfect girl for him and I kind of said no because we were technically still together but I really like him and I don't know what to do!" 

"Jasmine, calm down. Take a deep breath." Austin said and I do as he says.

"Okay, so I'm assuming you didn't understand a thing I said?" I say as I bit my nail in nervousness.

"Unfortunately, I did understand." Austin sighs. "I shouldn't be controlling your life and telling you who to date and all, but Jasmine, Chris isn't the man of your dreams."

"And how do you know this?" I ask.

"I- I just do." He stammers. "But, if you really like him and want to give it a chance, then go ahead, but my men will be watching him in Canada, and in Australia. I don't trust him as much, and if you're going to date him, then your safety is my first priority."

"You need to stop the sweet talk because it's making me blush," I demand playfully, also smiling.

"I'm glad to hear that." He chuckles. "I'll talk to Chris about you two."

I laugh, "Okay, thanks. I lo- I mean, I'll talk to you later." I stutter.

It'll be hard getting over this relationship.

"Yeah, bye."

----------------------------------

Liked this chapter? If yes, then I consider you clicking that star button! If no, no problem. But, if you like, you can continue reading and watch how the story changes, and maybe, just maybe you'll reconsider on not voting;)

Thanks for reading! Point out any mistakes and feel free to comment!