Chapter 36

"Why on Earth can't they just be together!?" Evergreen blew a fuse upon hearing that Laxus and (Y/N) literally can't be together and be happy.

"I'm sorry, but this is how it must be." Ophelia said. "Goodbye." After that, she was gone.

A loud thud was heard before the Thunder Legion realized what it was, or who it was. Laxus has punched a hole into the bark of a tree. His teeth were gritted and his veins were pulsating in rage.

Not to mention that his eyes were watering at the same time.

It was so heartbreaking. The fact that two individuals, who have been a couple since they were teenagers and were definitely in love with each other, couldn't be together anymore for as long as they lived. It was literally impossible, unless one chose to live without the other.

Either way, nobody wins.

It was going to pain Laxus to walk around and live his everyday life knowing that the girl he loves (1) doesn't love him back, (2) has no recollection of who he is, and (3) no longer possesses the memories that they once shared: the good and the bad memories.

It just wasn't fair! He had a whole life ahead of him and (Y/N) was suppose to be in it. He was going to propose, he would watch her excitedly plan the wedding for several weeks and listen to her talk all day about how specific everything had to be (even though he really didn't care, he just wanted to be her husband), he would act tough and not cry as he watched her walk down the aisle, he would take her anywhere she wanted for their honeymoon, she would move in with him, they would go on jobs together without the rest of the team (not permanently, of course), (Y/N) would get pregnant, he would be by her side the entire pregnancy (not like he'd have a choice), they would eventually end up raising a son and a daughter who would become powerful wizards just like their parents. Sounds perfect, right?

It was only a thought, a fantasy, if you will. But now it's just a lost hope and a crushed dream because Laxus can never be with (Y/N). Now, he'll have to watch her fall in love with some other guy, watch those two get married and have kids, all the while, he's probably still going to be head-over-heels in love with her.

It just wasn't fair.

Leaning away from the tree and straightening his back, Laxus stayed completely silent as his knuckle throbbed and swelled as well as bled. Though he was silent, his mood gave off an aura and vibe that made anyone around him uncomfortable and afraid that he was going to snap at any second. He looked up at the clear, blue sky with his teeth still gritted.

And the tears fell. They escaped from his eyes and ran down each cheek, as if they were having a race. He didn't care anymore. His pride still wouldn't let him cry in front of others, but he didn't care how he looked anymore (not that he cared a lot before). He didn't care if he went to the guild with puffy eyes or ungroomed hair and someone said something. He'd probably knock their teeth out anyways, if he had the energy.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion around him. As if time was trying to haunt him by slowing down the rest of his life so he could watch (Y/N) be happy with who-knows. The pain in his chest, that made it hard to breath, seemed to numb itself as well as his emotions. It also seemed to drain his energy.

Thinking it would be best not to say anything, the Thunder Legion decided to leave silently and give Laxus some space. So, they walked back to the guild in silence.

The blond wanted nothing more than answers right now. He had multiple emotions that he was feeling, giving him a great deal of internal conflict.

Pain.

Anger.

Betrayal.

Sadness.

Depression.

Rejection.

Confusion.

Regret.

Why did this specifically happen to me?

Am I being punished for something?

I shouldn't have went to find (Y/N) in Pennsylvania. I should've trusted her to come back on her own.

No, I shouldn't have gotten back together with her in the first place.

Now I'm doomed to watching her love someone else.

I guess, this is my reward for being a bad kid.

I'm such an idiot.

These were the multiple thoughts that Laxus had going through his head.

Am I still atoning for my mistakes?

Sniffling, trying to stop crying, Laxus lowered his head and stared at the ground. The depressive side of himself started to take over, filling his head with negative thoughts.

I messed up so bad that fate doesn't even think I deserve love.

"There's somebody for everybody." Looks like that doesn't apply to me.

I'm a joke to the guild, my family, and to (Y/N). She doesn't deserve me anyways.

I don't know why I thought coming back to the guild would help make up for the Battle of Fairy Tail.

Why did I think I could win (Y/N) back after I broke her heart in the first place?

Maybe I should just disappear?

As these thoughts went on, frustration began to build until the point where Laxus wanted to explode. Releasing a loud and frustrated scream, Laxus' body reacted to his pent up rage and engulfed itself in lightning. The lightning from his body caused a random lightning bolt from the sky to come down the Earthland and strike a nearby area.

He had to take deep breaths to calm himself down. His magic was reacting in response to his emotions, which could be catastrophic for Magnolia.

I gotta take a walk.

With that thought in mind, Laxus turned in a random direction -- one that he consciously made a decision for it to not be toward the guild -- and proceeded to take what he hoped to be a peaceful stroll through Magnolia.

Though he didn't know it, there were a pair of eyes watching Makarov's emotionally weak grandson, finding delight in his current emotional state.

"Oh my, what a troubled soul."