Chapter 45

Laxus didn't like it. He didn't like it one bit.

Over the next few months, four months to be exact, he noticed that you were growing extremely close to Sting.

He didn't know why and he didn't know how, but he knew he didn't like it.

Of course, Laxus knew that Sting had a crush on you, but surely you didn't like him back, right?

Even with your partial memory loss, you should still not like him, right?

Were you under a spell again?

He refused to believe that you were actually falling for Sting although the thought did cross his mind.

You couldn't fall for Sting. You just couldn't.

Laxus didn't want to lose you, and if you did fall in love with Sting, he would lose you forever.

He couldn't handle it. Just the thought of watching you and the Sabertooth version of Natsu spend the rest of your lives together made him want to punch a wall.

The whole situation frustrated him to the point of tears. There has to be some way. He kept telling himself. He had to get your memories of him back without risking his own life. There just had to be a way -- a loophole somewhere in the world.

It's like Natsu always says,

"Fairy Tail doesn't know the meaning of 'give up'!"

"Laxus?"

The next day Freed entered the guild's library after having lunch, intending to do more research on the mysterious creature and its species. He stopped in his tracks, however, when he saw Laxus sitting down at the first of several long, dark brown, rectangular, wooden tables.

The blond was surrounded by a mountain of books, hunched over and intently looking at the pages of the book and reading its content.

He didn't bother looking up from the pages of the book as he responded with a deep, "Huh?"

"What are you doing in here?" Freed asked, walking closer to his team leader. "Is there something you would like me to research for you?"

"No," Laxus replied, almost instantly. He didn't snap at the green haired wizard, but he just about interrupted the question. "You're already doing enough." He continued, "This is something I'm gonna take care of by myself."

"Are you sure?" Freed wasn't stupid. He knew exactly what Laxus was doing. After all, he could tell that Laxus was bothered by (Y/N) and Sting's closeness.

"Yeah."

Not pushing any further, Freed moved to where he had previously been working, a table away from Laxus, and continued to do his research.

Laxus spent day after day doing the same thing: reading through dusty books. He barely ate, due to not having an appetite, and basically "moved in" to the library.

He didn't go home at night, opting to read until he fell asleep without knowing it.

After going through the very last book in his mountainous stack, he slammed his hands on the table. "NOTHING!" He shouted, "I'VE LOOKED THROUGH ALL OF THESE BOOKS AND . . NOTHING!"

"Laxus. ."

The blond turned his head toward the entrance of the library, where the voice came from. He was surprised to see his grandfather standing there.

"Please, my boy, take some time off." Makarov pleaded with his grandson. He knew that Laxus was hurting deeply, but not eating and sleeping was unhealthy. "Relax."

"How can I relax when-" Laxus stopped himself, not wanting to speak it into existence (even though it already existed).

"I know you're hurting, but answers will come in due time."

"How do you know?"

"I don't." The elderly man turned to leave the library, but made one final remark before exiting, "I have faith."

Meanwhile, on the brighter side of things, you and Sting were walking down the street -- various street vendors shouting out deals and specials for consumers like yourself to buy.

He was telling you a funny story about how he fell into a well. You laughed at the mental image of Sting falling into a well (whether dry or filled with water). Your laughter was cut short when, out of the corner of your eye, you noticed that Sting was no longer right beside you.

You stopped in your tracks and looked over your right shoulder to see Sting had stopped walking a few steps back. "Is something the matter?" You asked, noticing that he was staring off into space.

"Hey, (Y/N)-san?" He began, to which you hummed in response. "What's your favorite flower?"

You were puzzled by the sudden, random question. My favorite flower? You thought. You didn't understand why Sting wanted to know your favorite flower or why it was relevant at the moment.

Nevertheless, you answered his question.

"I like (Flower)s."

Sting grinned at your answer and walked up to you. You thought he was coming straight for you, but he actually walked past you. You let your head follow the blond dragon slayer, only to discover his reason for asking you such a random question.

There was a vendor up ahead who was selling bouquets, and they just so happened to have your favorite flower.

Oh no . .

You watched Sting greet the vendor and ask for, "A bouquet of  (flower)s, please."

"Sting, you really didn't have to . ." You said once he came back and handed you the bouquet.

"I know." He grinned at you once again, not caring that he spent jewels on a bouquet of flowers. "I wanted to buy you those!"

That darn grin of his, you thought,  it's just like Natsu's and just as contagious. You found yourself smiling at the kind gesture.

Although, you had no idea what you were going to do with a bouquet of flowers! You weren't exactly a gardener.

Later that night, Laxus was, doing as his grandfather instructed, at home. He was sprawled out on the couch in his living room, his arm thrown lazily over his eyes which were closed.

And for the first time in what felt like forever, Laxus drifted off to sleep.

A pleasant dream was waiting for him -- a dream that gave him hope for his seemingly impossible situation.