Mini Side Story (AU): I'll Always Remember You (Sting x Reader)

It was the one day that every high school student looks forward too, especially the seniors.

Graduation Day. A day of mixed feelings.

The bright side of the situation is that you will finally be free of your high school life which consisted of seeing the same people and going to the same classes every single day. You would also be free of your high school's suffocating rules. You could finally move on with your life.

However, you managed to gain several friends as well as a boyfriend throughout your four years at Sabertooth High. Were you actually ready to say goodbye and part ways? Unless you were going to the same college as one of your close friends (and you quadruple checked already), you realized that you probably, most likely, will never see them anymore. The world was small, yet big with so many places to go. The chances of seeing your dear friends after tonight we're very small.

Of course, all of your friends had assured you that you most definitely will see them again.

"Don't worry, (Y/N). We'll keep in touch so we always know what's going on in each other's lives."
- Yukino

"If my memory serves me correctly, you're going to Edolas University, right? I'll make sure to visit when I get some free time at Fiore Community College."
- Rufus

"Don't be such a downer. I'm sure we'll see each other in the future! It might be awhile though. You know, since I'll be in the military and all!"
- Orga

"We could still see each other if you happen to come back to town. I'll be right here, working from sunrise to sunset practically everyday. If I'm lucky, I can retire by forty."
- Minerva

"We'll see each other again, don't worry. Sting will definitely make sure of it. And while you're studying (P/M)* make sure to look out for my poetry."
- Rogue

"I promise, (Y/N), we will see each other again. Nothing will keep me from seeing you. I'll even come from space to see you."
- Sting

Despite what they all said, you knew what the truth was. Life goes on, time continues, things come up along the way. There's no guarantee that you'll ever see them again.

No matter how badly you wanted to believe their words.

I always knew this day would come
We'd be standing one-by-one
With our future in our hands
So many dreams, so many plans
Always knew after all these years
There'd be laughter, there'd be tears
But never thought I'd walk away
With so much joy, but so much pain
And it's so hard to say goodbye

The graduating class of Sabertooth High School was marched onto the field -- all of the students proudly wearing their cap and gowns. After the Principal, the senior class president, the valedictorian (Rufus), and the salutatorian gave their speeches, it was officially time to recognize the graduates.

You took a deep breath once it was your row's turn to stand. This was it. You were graduating high school. You were entering the real world and becoming an adult.

It was nerve wracking.

But yesterday's gone, we've got to keep moving on
I'm so thankful for the moments
So glad I got to know ya
The times that we had
I'll keep like a photograph
And hold you in my heart forever
I'll always remember you

"(F/N) (L/N)."

Once your name was called, you heard the cheers become louder (most likely from your family) as you walked across the stage. You shook hands with the Principal and the Superintendent of Schools before receiving your diploma and turning toward the field of graduating students.

Your eyes moved quickly, searching and scanning for each one of your friends and your boyfriend, Sting. As you spotted them, your eyes filled with warm tears.

You were going to miss them.

You exited the stage by walking down the steps and headed back to your seat, wiping the threatening tears as you went. Now, you patiently waited for the ceremony to be over.

And as you sat there with your diploma in hand, you replayed the good old memories you had with your friends -- starting from your freshmen year.

And before you knew it, the last name had been called.

"Congratulations, Class of 2017 (A/N: or whatever year you want to graduate), I now pronounce you graduates of Sabertooth High School!"

Whistling and cheering filled the football field as fireworks went off. You were practically tackled from behind by your goof of a boyfriend a minute later.

"Can you believe it? High school is finally over!" Sting said, obviously very excited.

"I still can't believe it." You said. You attempted to appear excited so that you wouldn't be a rainy cloud on this sunny day, but it was no use. Facing your boyfriend and seeing him in his cap and gown with his diploma in hand, reality hit you like a truck and your eyes were once again filled with tears.

Sting knew exactly what the problem was. You had been depressed and thinking about it non-stop for the past three weeks. No matter how much he tried to cheer you up that same depressing thought would bring its was back to the surface of your mind.

And this would be one of his last times comforting you. At least, for a while since after today he would no longer be your boyfriend.

You and Sting had completely different dreams and therefore you both were going to different universities. You didn't want to hold him back from his "going into space" dream and he didn't want to hold you back from your dream.

Long distance relationships, you both knew, rarely survived the intense strain. So, you both agreed to end it.

After all, true love finds a way to work itself out.

Without saying a word, Sting pulled you into a hug, causing the flood to come. Your tears ran down your cheeks like they were in a race, and you cried into Sting's gown.

"I know, (Y/N)." He mumbled, listening to your sobs. "I know."

Another chapter in the book
Can't go back, but you can look
And there we are on every page
Memories I'll always save
Up ahead on the open doors
Who knows what we're heading towards
I wish you love, I wish you luck
For you, the world just opens up
But it's so hard to say goodbye

After summer vacation ended and with the upcoming semester approaching, it was time for you to move into your new dorm room.

Your parents helped you load and unpack your things into your new, temporary home, but soon -- a day later -- it was time for them to leave you.

You held your tears until after they left, wanting to be by yourself when you broke down. You were going to miss your parents and you already missed your friends.

And Sting.

You found your high school yearbook and flipped through the senior section, smiling once you saw a picture of one of your friends.

It seems like it was only yesterday when you all had to say goodbye.

But yesterday's gone, we've got to keep moving on
I'm so thankful for the moments
So glad I got to know ya
The times that we had
I'll keep like a photograph
And hold you in my heart forever
I'll always remember you

---------------------------

*(P/M) = Primary Major

Song: "I'll Always Remember You" by Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus