Chapter 37

ONE WEEK LATER

The guild was bustling with activity, people were in and out on jobs and talking amongst themselves while having drinks. The atmosphere of Fairy Tail was light and comfortable, just like it usually is.

But there was just one problem.

"Have any of you seen Laxus?" Makarov asked. The elderly man had asked Freed, Evergreen, and Bickslow to come to his office to talk to him about something urgent.

That "something urgent" was his grandson.

"I haven't seen him since last week." Freed replied.

"He probably locked himself in his house." Bickslow hinted.

"Hmm . ." The Master hummed, thinking. "I suppose. Would you three go check on him?"

"Of course." Evergreen nodded.

"Right away, Master." Freed agreed.

"You got it!" Bickslow grinned.

The Thunder Legion left the Master's office on a good note, intending to go to Laxus' house and try to cheer him up.

But they had no idea what was awaiting them.

Meanwhile, (Y/N) was currently having an arm wrestling competition with Natsu. The fiery dragon slayer wanted to fight her in a real match, with magic, but (Y/N) simply smirked and said, "Why don't we arm wrestle instead?" This way she doesn't have to waste too much of her energy on a battle in which Natsu will literally never stay down.

In an arm wrestling match, however, a winner is clearly defined.

"When you said (Y/N) was strong, you certainly meant it." Pantherlily commented, watching the competition. While Natsu had beads of sweat on his forehead and looked as if he was going to explode from extreme concentration and frustration, you looked like you weren't even trying. You had a lazy expression on your face and there were no visible veins popping out on your arm or hand.

"Aye, well, she was Laxus' girlfriend for a long time." Happy nodded his head at his own statement. "She's probably trained with him dozens of times."

"Too bad she doesn't remember any of it." Carla added, her face holding a concentrated expression. Something wasn't sitting right with her about your memory loss.

She had a bad feeling.

CRASH!

The wooden, round table shattered as Natsu fell sideways on to the floor, losing the arm wrestling match. You still held on to his hand, grinning at your victory.

"Sorry, Natsu. Looks like I win!"

The pink haired male weakly looked up at you. "I blame it on that supernatural strength of yours." He weezed out and put his head back on the floor. Gray and Gajeel openly laughed at Natsu's failure, while others simply sighed and shook their heads.

"YO, FAIRY TAIL!"

Bursting through the double doors was Sting and his feline partner, Lector.

"What are you two doing here?" Phoebe asked, eyeing them suspiciously.

"I came to see (Y/N)-san!" Sabertooth's Master exclaimed with a wide grin.

"Why, she still doesn't like you." Gajeel grumbled under his breath, finding the current events to be boring. He walked away, looking for something with iron in it.

"What is it, Sting?" You said, not bothering to greet him.

"I was wondering if we could hang out again." He smiled hopefully.

You sighed, rolling your eyes. "Sting, we hung out the entire weekend and besides, don't you have Master responsibilities to be doing?" You mentioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, but those are boring. Hanging out with you is so much more fun!"

"Talk about head-over-heels." Gray chuckled.

Sting shot Gray a glare, but quickly turned his attention back to you. "C'mon, it'll be fun!" He pleaded.

"We need to talk." You replied in a low voice. This resulted in the guild going, Oooo, as if someone got in trouble.

You and Sting walked outside, leaving your exceeds inside. You decided to walk down the streets of Magnolia so that pesky guild members wouldn't hear your conversation.

"Look, Sting," You began, keeping your voice low so that only he could hear you. "I know you like me and everything, but I'm just not ready for a relationship right now. I-I can't explain it, but I'm happy with being single right now and I don't want a boyfriend at the moment."

You dared not to look him in the eyes, afraid that you severly hurt his feelings, so you kept your eyes straight ahead.

"I figured as much." Sting mumbled. You could tell by the sound of his voice that he was hurt. Even with no memory of Laxus, I still don't have a chance. He thought. "But I can wait, (Y/N). I know you don't like me the way I like you, but I'm willing to wait. I just . . I just like spending time with you. Maybe . . . in the future, you'll give me a chance?" He looked at you with hope in his eyes. Feeling his stare, you looked at him.

As of right now, you couldn't see yourself dating Sting. He wasn't ugly and his personality and attitude has gotten better since the Grand Magic Games, but you just don't see him in that way.

But there's nothing wrong with leaving a door open for opportunities.

"Sure, Sting." You sighed, "Maybe." Seeing him grin from ear-to-ear made another thought pop into your mind, "And there's nothing wrong with wanting to hang out, but you need to take your Master responsibilities more seriously. No slacking off." Instead of actually replying, he just nodded his head vigorously.

The two of you made a uturn and walked back to Fairy Tail, Sting telling you that there was now a pool in Sabertooth and that you should come for a swim.

When you arrived back at the guild and entered, the lighthearted atmosphere that was once there is now gone and Makarov was out of his office and standing on the bar counter, as if he had just made an announcement.

"What's going on?" You asked, causing everyone to turn and look at you.

"(Y/N) . ." Phoebe called your name in a sad tone. You walked further into the guild toward Master Makarov. "Did something happen?" You asked the elderly man.

He sighed and closed his eyes briefly, wondering how you would react to this. "It's Laxus." He said after opening his eyes to look at you, "I think he's missing."

"Laxus," You said the name, furrowing your eyebrows together. That was the huge, muscly blond, right? "You mean, your grandson?"

"That's right, dear."

"Well, what makes you think that he's missing?"

"He hasn't been seen for an entire week and I just had his team go to his house. He wasn't there."

"Maybe he's on vacation." You shrugged, trying to come up with suggestions.

"He wasn't really in the mood for a vacation." Freed commented.

"I fear something terrible has happened to him." Makarov grimaced at the thought. "He wasn't in the best mental state when he was last seen."

"Well, we should definitely try and find him." You said with confidence, "I may not know him that well, but he's your blood relative, Master. That's all that matters."